Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Export licences for coins bought in European Union  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Export licences for coins bought in European Union
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:34 am »
Hello everyone !
Where can I find information about the export of ancient coins from EU cointries ?
For example is it allowed to export ancient and medieval coins from Spain, Cyprus, France, UK ? Are coins cultural values ? Must a seller provide an export license ?

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: Export licences for coins bought in European Union
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:22:25 am »
Let me explain a bit more. I have bought some coins on eBay from a spanish seller. Now our custom service asks about some kind of licence that these coins do not represent cultural values and were legally exported from Spain. So what can I answer to them ?

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:46 am »
What country are you in?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:59:17 am »
The Republic of Moldova.
I have been buying ancient coins regularly on eBay or other auctions and they came from all around the Europe without any problems. But now the custom officers say that according to an international convention (I don't know which) it's necessary to provide a licence or permission or some kind of document that these coins do not represent cultural value and they were exported legally.
I wonder how can I do it, if I'm a buyer and the coins have succesfully left their country. Sounds like absurd. So I am looking for laws that regulate export of coins from european countries.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:32:09 pm »
You should contact the seller and ask for their assistance. Unfortunately, they probably will not be able to get a government document. The seller could certify the coins were exported legally (there is an appropriate statement they have to make and then sign) and that should be good enough, but sometimes it isn't.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »
As far as I know a Permiso de Exportaciòn (export licence) is required by the Spanish law for ancient coins.

Many Spanish dealers say that the licence is not necessary if the buyer is inside the European Union, but even that is doubtful.

The permit is issued by a special commission that meets every month, and the request should be ordinary made by the seller.

Alberto

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 02:22:09 pm »
Thank you Joe and Alberto ! I'm trying to clarify it with the seller and our Ministry of Culture.

BTW what about such countries as UK, France, Germany ? Can anybody give any references to their legislation about export of coins ?

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
As far as I know:

- in France an export licence is required only for coins over the value of 1.500 Euros

- in Italy and Austria an export licence is required regardless the price

Alberto

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 01:04:34 pm »
Alberto is correct as far as France is concerned for the euros 1500 threshold but there is something else to be considered :
- if the coin is exported in the EU, you only need the certificate of export
- if the coin is exported outside the EU, you need the certificate plus an export licence : this is a sensitive issue as far as the UK (and its Brexit potentially) is concerned (a little bit of a black hole looking forward), especially because a lot of non EU houses (NAC, CNG) have a big London-based activity (it could impact all the VAT, fees, etc stuff as well).
Pierre

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:34:19 am »
Hi all,

"The Republic of Moldova" not the member of EU! That is the problem.

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:14:01 am »
Dealers associations should in theory know everything worth knowing about export (and import) restrictions, and they should provide this information to their members and customers on their websites, or at least they should provide links to the various official websites that deal with these matters.

But how many do?

Ross G.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:45 am »
- in France an export licence is required only for coins over the value of 1.500 Euros

I have been buying from a small dealer in France for a couple of years. He indicated to me in the New Year that there was a change in France that had been introduced and that he would no longer be able to export to the UK. I have not been able to find any details.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:34 pm »
We haven't even left the EU yet. If we ever do!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity