Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic Coin, Holed, for I.D.  (Read 1541 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Islamic Coin, Holed, for I.D.
« on: January 05, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a coin from Caesarea Maritima.  I think it is late Umayyad or early Abbasid, but I am having trouble with the inscription.  I can recognize the first part of the Kalima on the obverse.  There are two concentric circular inscriptions, and the inner one seems to have M-H-M, which could be the "second Umayyad symbol", but I would expect it to begin in the upper right quadrant, not lower left (unless this is part of the mint-mark).  The 90 degree die axis also seems unusual, but I have not handled enough Islamic coins to be sure.  Any help on date and mint would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC Is6
Islamic -
Abbasid ?
AE 25mm.  2.61gm.
Axis:90 (3h)

(click on pic for higher resolution)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Islamic Coin, Holed, for I.D.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:02 pm »
Hi, I wanted to give this a bump in case anyone recognizes it.  Thanks, Jimi

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »
Under the coin grade :
The style is Abbasid with a strong possibility of being late Abbasid (like Al Muta'ua kel or Al Muqtadir), also the style tells it is not a sub-state coin but struck under the Qalifa in Ba’ggdad ( I do not mean Ba'ggdad mint ) with a possibility of a sub ruler.
Are you sure is an AE coin, not silver?

The lined area is where the Qalifa ' s name ( the head of the Abbasid state at that time )
Sam Mansourati

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:41:35 pm »
Thank you, Sam.  That will help narrow my search.  I tried cleaning a small part of the edge, and it looks like a yellowish copper alloy, not white.  

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity