Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage" - first version finished  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
"Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage" - first version finished
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »
This evening, with a huge sigh of relief (and exhaustion), I completed the first version of Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage - an online survey (in blog format) of the many apperarances of Eros (Cupid) on Provincials, with some side-glances at Greek, Roman Republican and Imperial coins, at tesserae, and at some minor (and a few major) ancient artworks.

Patricia Lawrence and I began the project many years ago - I've moved house twice since then! - under the title Prolegomena to a Study of Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage. "Prolegomena" has now been dropped. The survey is complete, for the moment, and whether there'll be a study or a further publication based on it we shall see.

The website (http://eroscoin.blogspot.de/2011/03/introduction.html) surveys 56 different "types", with many variants. The catalogue sections, with estimates of rarity, are based on thousands of specimens. There are several essays, and we haven't been shy to tackle controversial topics. The many people who generously helped us are listed under "Thanks and Acknowledgements".

What we'd like now are comments. And corrections. Better specimens than those that we've illustrated (please send images to the email address given at the end of the "Introduction"). And perhaps even completely new types―one surfaced only a week ago, just in time to be included.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: "Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage" - first version finished
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 08:43:01 am »
A correction:
The Maeonia, Lydia coin of Marcus Aurelius has the obv. legend
AYT K M AYRHLIC ANTWNEINOC, not AYT K M AYPELIS [sic] ANTONEINOC.
Reference is Imhoof GRM 1.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:32:29 am »
Oops! How did that happen? I've made the correction.

To all FORVMites: Please keep those suggestions and corrections coming!

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:35 am »
Here is an interesting coin! The owner sent me these images to consider, and now I'm appealing to readers of this board for their thoughts...

Although it's a considerable rarity, the coin is not unknown. It's been catalogued at least four times, but there is no real consensus on what the reverse type represents.

We have here (the owner's description) an AE 27, 20.42g, 27.32mm, 1 h, of Gallienus, from Serdica in Thrace.
Obv. AVT K GAL - LIHNOC.  Bust, draped and cuirassed, seen from behind, radiate, r.
Rev. OVLPIAC - CERDIKHC, in l. field in 3 lines one below the other FILO / MOV / COC. Eros, nude, winged, with unknown attribute on head (tied up hairs?), stg. l., holding in lowered l. hand bow and arrow, and in extended r. hand small figure.

The catalogue references are:
(1) Moushmov 4955: he calls the rev. figure a Genius (Apollo?) and has no name for the statuette.
(2) Ruzicka 479 var., pl. IV: she writes laureate head r. and calls the rev. figure a winged Genius holding a small figure with mantle and raised hand (the online version doesn't mention the legend in l. field!).
(3) Varbanov III, 2636: he refers to a "winged male figure" and a statuette; in describing a similar coin, Varbanov 2626, these become a "naked Genius, winged" and an "idol".
(4) Hristova/Jekov 12.46.41.1: they call the rev. figure a Genius and the statuette a Muse.

Could this be an Eros?

Although there are naked, winged male figures on Roman funerary art (e.g. the base of the column of Antoninus Pius, in the Vatican) that are unlikely to be Erotes, I am not familar with any on Provincial coins.

My own theory tends in the direction of Harpocrates, or a "Harpocratic Eros", with the following (admittedly speculative) arguments:
(1) The shape of the head suggests Harpocrates.
(2) The "statuette" looks to me like a hawk.
(3) The bow/arrow/quiver etc. in the figure's l. could be a branch, also an attribute of Harpocrates.
(4) Winged figures of Harpocrates ("Harpocratic Erotes") though rare are not unknown in ancient art. Google and you will find them.
(5) Isis, Sarapis and Harpocrates all appear with reasonable frequency on coins of Serdica.

This leaves FILOMOVCOC unexplained, of course. If it is not a personal name (and why should it be, on a late coin of Serdica?), could it be a reference to Apollo (but why not then portray Apollo, rather than an ambiguous winged figure?) or even a flattering reference to the emperor (but wouldn't that be on the obverse, like the mysterious epithet "Chrysogone" sometimes given to his wife Salonina, unless the reverse actually showed Gallienus?).

Perhaps we are missing something here. Let us know your thoughts on this mysterious coin, please!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
Winged Harpokrates is a nice idea. That would explain his headdress too (lotos blossom?).

Jochen

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 03:00:44 pm »
Hi, all
An interesting subject of research
My recent addition - Prusa ad Olympum AE 20, autonomous issue
Ref.: Waddington RG 4; BMC 2

Vladimir P

He who makes no mistakes makes nothing

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 05:38:26 pm »
Quite a rare coin. You might consider sending it to RPC Online, who have included other examples of this reverse type with imperial busts on the obverse, but not this type with Tyche (even though the ANS has a specimen in its collection)?

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 03:06:32 am »

Maybe RPC team attribute these issues to Severian times, then we'll see them in Volume V. But of course I'll show it to an editor. Thanks! And special thanks for the important research on the subject of Eros
Vladimir P

He who makes no mistakes makes nothing

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 05:34:03 am »
Thanks, Vladimir! Yes, it may well be that the RPCers have decided to go with this issue being Severan, rather than late Antonine. It's the fourth example that I know of, and the only one in a private collection, the others being in Paris, London (BMC 2), and the ANS collection.

Offline Jerome M

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:43 pm »
Quote from: Britannicus on January 19, 2018, 08:43:35 am
This leaves FILOMOVCOC unexplained, of course. If it is not a personal name (and why should it be, on a late coin of Serdica?), could it be a reference to Apollo (but why not then portray Apollo, rather than an ambiguous winged figure?) or even a flattering reference to the emperor (but wouldn't that be on the obverse, like the mysterious epithet "Chrysogone" sometimes given to his wife Salonina, unless the reverse actually showed Gallienus?).

Perhaps we are missing something here. Let us know your thoughts on this mysterious coin, please!

Φιλόμουσος means "friend of the Muses". It is a well attested personal name, quite common in Thrace (see LPGN) but it can also be used as a nickname or a title. On this coin, this god (whoever it is!) is given the title or name "friend of the Muses".

Intriguing coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity