Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Symbolism on Coins  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Byzantine Symbolism on Coins
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:45 pm »
Byzantine coins are filled with many symbols, I thought it would be interesting to pool our knowledge for this information with the coin examples. Please share what you find. Does not matter the time period of the empire.

Here is an example of the Virgin from the 12th century.

You will notice on her fore head and arms a symbol. Ironically on coins it is four starts but after checking other depictions of her on other forms of art, they show with a four point start. Here is the symbolism taken from an art web site.

(a fibula is a type of golden bejeweled ancient brooch), depicted on the Virgin's shoulders and forehead found on Byzantine era icons, represent her chastity before, during and after being with the birth of Jesus Christ.

The virgin was a popular figure on Byzantine Coins, she was considered the patron of Constantinople.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Byzantine Symbolism on Coins
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40:23 pm »
This coin very much looks like an anchor to me hidden with the symbol of the cross, It was minted in the 13th century when Constantinople was under Latin rule.

I will have to be a little ambiguous in its certain meaning but in Christian art the anchor had several meanings. The best fit for this one is St Clement a Bishop of Rome in the 1st century, He was said to be executed by Emperor Trajan by being tied to an anchor and thrown into the sea. The anchor became his symbol.

The anchor has other meanings but since it was symbol by the Latin church the story seems appropriate for this coin.

In the catalogs it is described as a Leaved patriarchal cross. I will leave this one for the viewer to descide.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Byzantine Symbolism on Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:56:31 pm »
Can be also seen as a ship with the Cross as sail, mostly drawn artistic.
Ship is a symbol of the holly church.
Just my humble thoughts.
Simon, what an interesting idea.
I am not a Byzantine coin collector, but I love and always find them very interesting.

Added *** : As you said could be also seen as a Patriarchal cross.
It is also very close to reality to be taken as the ship is the church of Christ and the Patriarchal cross is a symbol of the church leader at that time.
The Syriac Aramaic church has a religious rank called “Rouban “  means Captain. ( now only Orthodox kept that rank name )
Different than the Aramaic word “Rabboni” that Christ was called by Mary in John 20:16
(which means teacher)

Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity