Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Museo Arigoni ?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Museo Arigoni ?
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:04:45 pm »
Does anyone know where I can download the old catalog(s) of the Museo Arigoni ? I don't mean the Sestini article from 1805 (which is only a selection), but the original Arigoni works (apparently in three volumes) from 1809 entitled
"Numismata quaedam cujuscunque formae, et metalli Musei Honorii Arigoni Veneti"

I need Volume 2. (It should have a coin of Bagis, Lydia on plate XXII, no. 304.)

archive.org doesn't have it and google only has the volume of ancient artifacts, vases, statues etc. available for download.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Museo Arigoni ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:45:59 pm »
I don't possess this work, nor know where to download it.

According to Eckhel I, p. CLXIII, however, publication dates were earlier: vol. I 1741, II 1744, III 1745, IV 1759.

Apparently the work consists of plates only, which unfortunately can only be used with caution according to Eckhel, because the illustrations, all of coins in the author's collection, are often clearly inaccurate or erroneous.

I think that parts or maybe all of Arigoni's collection was acquired by Turin, so maybe Turin possesses today that particular Bagis coin you are interested in.

Curtis Clay

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »
... google only has the volume of ancient artifacts, vases, statues etc. available for download.

I found volume 1 from 1741 and it was full of coins

https://tinyurl.com/uo42j4r

There is a plate XXII but perhaps not the plate you need:

https://tinyurl.com/won9b74

I couldn't find volume 2, 3, or the volume of artifacts you found.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:08:22 pm »
Ed's first link led me to the correct pl. XXII, 304, however! There are also artifacts at the end.
Curtis Clay

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:29 pm »
You two could see the book because you are in the USA. Because I am not in the US google books in its perpetual arrogance would not even let me browse through that one, ("NO EBOOK AVAILABLE") until I switched my VPN on..
I managed to download it, hoping it is the correct volume and ready to search for that elusive Bagis coin.....
.. Ah I found it. I think this is actually a BAGHNWN legend, with part of the H a bit worn, as BAGINWN wouldn't make much sense.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:59 am »
I think that parts or maybe all of Arigoni's collection was acquired by Turin, so maybe Turin possesses today that particular Bagis coin you are interested in.

Babelon, Traité I.1, col. 242: in 1843 the Royal Coin Cabinet at Turin acquired almost the totality of the former Arigoni collection, more than 20,000 coins.
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:13:51 am »
All interested parties please note -- this single Google download* for Onorio Arrigoni, Numismata quaedam cuiuscunque (pages unnumbered), actually includes all 3 volumes bound together. Vol. 2 begins on p. 300 of the Google download, Vol. 3 on p. 560. Though the work is unwieldy on account of its unnumbered pages, its engravings are really exceptional.

* https://books.google.com/books?id=esRccW9BxE0C
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 07:26:42 am »
Thanks for posting this, it was a fun scroll.  I particularly enjoyed the Phoenician bronzes at the end.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 11:25:13 am »
Nice  :).

A slightly better scan can be seen in (and downloaded from) the BnF: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k884434f

Regards

Altamura

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 02:39:16 pm »

c.rhodes

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »
Thanks to you, Altamura, for posting the BN alternative scan; it's a much larger download, but frequently worth it (see comp plates below, from Vol. 3). The BN version also omits the unhelpful blank pages that face the original plates, so the volume-divisions are differeint -- Vol. 2 starts on 157, Vol. 3 on 295.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 10:01:55 am »
There is a further volume (no plates) that is also available for download, Domenico Sestini's Catalogus numorum veterum musei Arigoniani, Berlin, 1805: https://books.google.com/books?id=gcYNSHYWMjUC

All coins are guaranteed for eternity