Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Tessera Standing Figure  (Read 1402 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Tessera Standing Figure
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:11:50 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a small lead tessera from Caesarea Maritima.  In hand it is not any clearer.  I think I see a branch in the right hand pointing down, and a cloth or something (lyre?) hanging from the left hand.  The star may also give a clue.  I am thinking maybe Dionysus, or Apollo.  Any ideas would be welcome.  I have looked through Wildwinds tesserae, and Anit Hamburger's article without finding any close parallels.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC LT45
Lead Tessera
Late Roman 1st-4th cent.
Obv: Figure standing left, arm
draped?, branch? in right hand.
(Dionysus or Apollo)?
Six pointed star in left field.
Rev: Uncertain.  Bust?
12x13mm. 2.33gm. Axis:?
J. Berlin Caesarea Collection

(Click for larger pic)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Re: Lead Tessera Standing Figure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:26:42 pm »
Perhaps Spes walking left holding a flower left and hem of dress right?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
I agree, that is a traditional Spes pose, lifting the tip of her skirt. The 'six pointed star' may well be the flower in her hand.
Regards
Gert

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »
I think that the right arm is lowered holding a branch and the star appears to be floating alone in the left field.

Maybe a variation of the Spes pose though the figure looks a bit male to me.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity