Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New York International Convention 2018  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
New York International Convention 2018
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:05:08 pm »
Is anybody planning to attend the NYINC this year? Stkp

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: New York International Convention 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
Yes, I go every year.  New location might be a bit more interesting.  The Waldorf was getting a bit dowdy and it seemed like same people at same tables.  The layout may also make it easier to move around.  But the auctions do not seem to have many interesting Romans this year.  I suppose having a $500k budget would make a few coins more interesting!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:24 am »
So far there aren't many of us planning to attend.

I go every year. It's one of the few shows that I do attend as so many of the local shows don't have much within the areas in which I collect. I never liked the maze-like layout of the Waldorf, and am looking forward to the new location. I usually leave with some new coin literature as well as some new coins, and often discover interesting coins that cause me to branch out into other areas of collecting.

With my budget I don't pay too much attention to the auction part of the event; I spend less during a full day on the bourse than many spend on a typical auction purchase!

If all goes as planned, I will be there pretty much all day on Friday of next week on the bourse.

Stkp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:17:56 am »
I'm not going unless it warms up quite a bit first.  If I go, it is mostly as a tourist and I don't spend the whole time at the show. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »
I'll be there. I'm planning to spend most of the day Friday at the bourse.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »
I am at Heritage auction today.  The crowd is a bit light.  But it is all of 8 degrees F in Midtown.  That is cold.  And I live here.  Should be warmer by Weds.  New location is much nicer than Waldorf.  More open. Glad it will be here for a few years.   May seem a bit more convention-like on bourse days, but a convention with carpeting, places to sit comfortably, clean washrooms, and the Oyster Bar downstairs.  Plus many places much less expensive than near Waldorf.   Just sayin'...  ( I would be happy to provide recomendations for food and drink.)

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:28 pm »
Update from NYINC. Last day before public bourse starts.   If you can visit this show, I think you would find a different vibe.  Much more up to date.  Easier to find rooms, move around, enter and exit, and to sit.  No more dead end rooms of the mysterious (and unwashed, at least so far).   No need to navigate through weddings of the rented white tie.  ( ok, I was not a big fan of the prior location for any event.)

Paul 

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:33 pm »
I was not a big fan f the layout at the Waldorf and am looking forward to experiencing the new bourse setup tomorrow. Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity