Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KOINON Update  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
KOINON Update
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:30 pm »
Hello Friends,

I wanted to write and provide a brief update about KOINON, which will probably be the last until the submission deadline closes. We have received some excellent submissions so far, over half a dozen in total, both from established numismatic scholars and total newcomers (to publishing, not coins). There are a few more on the way, too, and I'm even preparing one for submission myself. The peer-review process has proved relatively painless and actually rather helpful, and I have only positive experiences to report on that front. So, if you are considering submitting, please do so. If you are hesitant please contact me to discuss your idea for an article. One fascinating piece that comes to mind is an extensive provenance report on a coin (much had been lost) and short bio of an old collector and the other notable coins that passed through his collection- I hadn't even conceived of an essay concerning provenance until I read this author's essay and I must say it was fascinating.

Unfortunately, we only have about 5 unpublished varieties submitted so far, and two of those are mine. I know there are far more out there hidden in your collections and I really hope you will consider submitting them. The format is simple and you need not be an excellent writer (lord knows I'm not!): https://koinonjournal.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/new-type1.pdf

It could be something as simple as a new monogram or inscription variant- if it is new it deserves to be published and you as the founder deserve recognition for the discovery. I envision KOINON divided into two parts- the first various essays and the second, a yearly catalog of unpublished varieties that come to market spanning all areas of ancient coinage, listed in standard catalog structure: Celtic, Greek, Roman Republican, etc. So please do consider submitting your unpublished variety. And if you don't own the coin you can still submit it, assuming you have rights to the photo (perhaps you lost the auction...). Ultimately, this is an excellent opportunity for those not comfortable writing an academic article to contribute to the discipline (plus you get bragging rights to your friends).

Thanks for considering,

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: KOINON Update
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:39 am »
Someone from another board asked if a coin appearing in an auction is considered unpublished in terms of KOINON submissions.  Here is my reply:

Yes, a coin listed in an auction either incorrectly or under a general number (e.g., HN Italy 123) can be submitted, citing the sale, of course. Even a coin listed as unpublished in the auction description can be submitted (if someone wants a research project- that would be fun and very beneficial to the community).The ultimate goal is to have a single, consistent, accessible resource for scholars and numismatists to see new and "academically" unpublished types that appear every year.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »
You are welcome to include any unpublished coins in the Forum shop.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:35:52 pm »
Great, thank you, Joe.  I doubt I will have time to research unpublished types on the market outside of my specialty (I will try), but it would certainly be great fun to do and I'm hoping others might.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:36:26 am »
Hi Nick,

What is the deadline again?

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:31:06 am »
Nick,

Would new era dates of already established coin series be of interest ?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:30:01 am »
Yes, absolutely.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:32:05 am »
Hi Nick,

What is the deadline again?

Thanks,

Peter

April 1st for essays.  Unpublished types anytime, though they'll get bumped to the next volume if too close to publication.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity