Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A small trachy to ID  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
A small trachy to ID
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:21:13 am »
Happy New Year to everybody !
Please help me to identify this trachy.
The emperor on the left seems to wear a double beard (but I'm not sure). Between the figures there is a long scepter formed by circles with a fleur-de-lis (or is it just a cross ?)
The reverse is illegible

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: A small trachy to ID
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:50:19 am »
Does anybody have any ideas ?  ???

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:18:41 am »
Can it be Theodore II Ducas-Lascaris, Sear 2144 ?

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:47:18 pm »
This is a really interesting coin! I was thinking maybe SB2067, Theodore I Comnenus Lascaris of Nicaea (Magnesia mint)? I’m not 100% sure, but this type closely resembles your coin (see here for an example http://labarum.info/lbr/show.php?coin=20670). Hope this helps!

Kind regards.

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:49:36 pm »
Thank you for your opinion, Trapezunt.
But I see difference between them. The emperor and the saint on my coin hold scepters/spears. Between them is a cross or a fleur-de-lis, not a labarum as I see.
I find this John III Ducas-Vatatzes (Sear 2102) also similar: http://labarum.info/lbr/show.php?coin=21020
But I still do not understand these circles in the center, I can't find anything like them on published coins.  ???

One more photo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity