Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Testing authenticity via atmospheric radation during creation?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline JarretGax

• Praetorian
Testing authenticity via atmospheric radation during creation?
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:44:06 am »
I know that pre-atomic steel/iron is important in making sensitive devices that have to be radiation free to be accurate.  Along this line of thought, would someone be able to test modern fakes of ancient coins made after the 40s that would have this atmospheric background radiation in the metal when made? 
“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.”

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Testing authenticity via atmospheric radation during creation?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:15:44 am »
I know this would work for once living things because the are constantly absorbing in new molecules (breathing, eating, drinking). And maybe for items made with water like pottery. I don't know how metal would absorb more radiation in its raw state than in a coin state. I'm not sure the test will detect any difference in a modern vs. ancient coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
"Pre-atomic steel" is a "thing" because steel and iron interact with some of the radioactive Cobalt-60 that exists due to atmospheric nuclear testing.

What I am not sure of is whether the same thing applies to copper or silver, from which coins are made, or if it could be measured with any accuracy.  The fact it is used for the most sensitive instruments implies the level of radioactivity is very very low.

Maybe someone knows better.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »
One source for pre-atomic steel is WWII ship wrecks (or before), the foundry process post atomic has "problems" with atmospheric cobalt entering the mix.  I mention this so anyone reading this can have some idea of what is being discussed.  I don't know of any reason why gold or silver would be effected (or for that matter, would not be effected).  It is an interesting idea, though.  My guess is that cobalt chemically acts like iron, silver and gold do not.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »
A few years ago I read "Ancient Roman Metal Used for Physics Experiments Ignites Science Feud" in Scientific Americanhttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ancient-roman-lead-physics-archaeology-controversy/ .  If Roman lead is needed for equipment it should be possible to tell if lead is ancient.

The Wikipedia article "Low-background steel" explains why pre-WW2 steel is different and how it can be obtained.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel .  The article points out that air is used in the production of steel.  I don't think that is the case with coin metals.  Not much air is needed to turn a gold nugget into a coin flan.  So the radionuclides in the air will not make it into the flan.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:06:51 am »
I think you are right Ed.  The processes (ie Bessemer) the article speaks of don't just blow air into the crucible - they apparently blow air through the molten metal.  Nothing like that is required for Cu, Ar, etc.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity