Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best gallery of 2017  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Best gallery of 2017
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 10:22:03 am »
This thread started with Enodia’s suggestion that we discuss the criteria which the best gallery of the year should fulfill. Quadrans raised the question of whether the best gallery should, for example, show a broad interest and be encyclopedic, on the one hand, or focus on one area, being specialized, on the other. Further, should the best gallery be instructive or simply beautiful? I personally would answer these questions by seconding Enodia’s later suggestion that the best gallery should not be just a showcase but also a resource.

The notion that the best gallery should be a resource appears to be echoed in numerous comments valuing organization and presentation, and, as peterpil19 mentioned, descriptions that are top notch from which you learn something about the coins.

If a resource, the best gallery should include, as Randygeki(h2) suggested, a focused collection. I stress the word include because so many of us have galleries that contain a focus in one or more areas of specialization as well as a general mix of coins from other areas of interest in which we do not specialize.

And, if we are looking to recognize galleries (or those parts of galleries) that are resources, there is no reason not to recognize multiple galleries, based on their usefulness as resources in particular areas of numismatics. Sam suggested that we recognize galleries by category, such as Ancient Greek, Roman Republican; Byzantine, and Islamic. I like that idea, and would suggest adding Roman Provincial; Medieval European; and Eastern Coinages, all of which are well-represented by the members of FORVM.

Stkp

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:43:22 am »
I would suggest we simplify it further. Three groups.

Greek- All galleries focused on Pre-Roman cultures.

Roman-  Republic, Imperial, and Provincial and other contemporary cultures (far most popular and competitive)

MedievalCrusader, Byzantine, Islamic etc..

I know we have many galleries deserving recognition but realisticly the awards should not be diluted too much, rarely a gallery is built in a year so there are other years.

The criteria, well that’s beyond difficult, not everyone builds their gallery for the same reason nor do we view the galleries for the same reason, in reality all these galleries have just one thing in common, people who are proud of their collections and want to display them.

To avoid confusion, I think each person’s vote is based on what is important to them, beauty, rarity, etc. etc.

Finally, I suggest a special award vote for academic / informative gallery that lists all nominees from all categories.

I am afraid if we make it more complicated we would never get to a vote.

Just a thought.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
I think Simon's thoughts are very apt, and I modify my own suggestions in line with his. Thank you. Stkp

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 01:15:18 pm »
my feeling that this is The Members Gallery, so let the members decide. if the majority want to do it this way I have no objection.

- Peter

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 02:05:50 pm »
Well said Peter , no wonder Enodia is your title . ( The gates and Crossroads ).
Sam Mansourati

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 01:29:40 am »
Last Call!
If anyone wants to comment further on the format suggestions, or nominate/second any other galleries for consideration, do so now or forever hold your peace (well, until next year anyway).
Come Monday I will post the poll for votes.

- Peter

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:06 pm »

:-X

... just jokes (carry-on)

;)

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:12 pm »
                  Enodia ‘ s Gallery (on Greek )  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>2:   Jay GT4 ' s Gallery ( on Roman )   :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>2:  Simon ' s  Gallery (on Byzantine )
                                                                   :branchesthreeleft: Best of 2017  :branchesthreeright:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   +++   Enodia , Jay GT4 , and Simon
Sam Mansourati

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:19 pm »
thank you Sam, you're very gracious.  :)

I know I said that I would post a poll on Monday, but with my home computer down I only have access here through work, and we have been SO busy lately.

however, before I do I would like to list the candidates who have been seconded...
David Atherton
Schatz
Okidoki
Simon

and Quadrans, although he has recused himself.

here are the nominees who have NOT been seconded, worthy galleries all...
Mat
Maridvnvm
Jochen
Barnaba6
Flavius Domintianus
stkp
Martin Rowe
QuantGeek
WileyC
Alex
Jay GT4
Sam (apparently overlooked, but added here now)
and your humble narrator

so i'll leave this open another day or two to see if anyone is interested in finalizing this list, and THEN I will post the poll, which at this time has only 5 candidates (well, 4 really).
c'mon people, get active!   8)

~ Peter

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
I would like to second

Jay GT4

Enodia

Stkp

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:54 pm »
Thanks! I'll second Sam and Flavius

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:14 pm »
Thank you SO very much gentlemen , but  my collection here is “A flower from every field collection
Maybe next year , we , members will add that field, I will be then ,happy and honored to be part of it.

So I am nominating my Lions :  Enodia , Jay GT4 , and  Simon.

The other members' galleries are more than worthy  +++, my best wishes to all.

Sam Mansourati

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:15 am »
I want to second Jochen, especially (but not only) for his Nikopolis collection, and Mat's gallery for his ladies and Alexandria collections.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 04:17:28 am »
Thanks! I'll second Sam and Flavius
Thanks Jay, I feel honored

Alberto

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 04:54:49 am »
If I give the second :

Martin Rowe
Maridvnvm
Barnaba6

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »
Thank you, Quadrans, for nominating my gallery, and Simon, for seconding the nomination.

I create the gallery, for which I thank Joe for hosting, primarily for my own use. It permits me to view my collection while at work or anywhere else, without having to actually have the coins in hand. It is especially useful at coin shows as it allows me to compare potential acquisitions against the coins I already own. I am always gratified, of course, when other people look at the gallery and at my new additions -- especially if they find the gallery to be useful as a resource.

Stkp

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 12:55:24 pm »

I create the gallery, for which I thank Joe for hosting, primarily for my own use. It permits me to view my collection while at work or anywhere else, without having to actually have the coins in hand. It is especially useful at coin shows as it allows me to compare potential acquisitions against the coins I already own. I am always gratified, of course, when other people look at the gallery and at my new additions -- especially if they find the gallery to be useful as a resource.

Stkp

I totally agree with this not only thanks to Joe but I travel for work all the time, the Forum Gallery helps me view my coins wherever I am. It is a wonderful tool.

Simon

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 02:58:51 pm »

Stkp

I totally agree with this not only thanks to Joe but I travel for work all the time, the Forum Gallery helps me view my coins wherever I am. It is a wonderful tool.

Simon

+1  +++

I totally agree..

Q.
My Gallery

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »
+2

I rarely look at my physical coins anymore once a photo has been taken and posted to the gallery.  I'm always using the gallery for attribution help.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:31 pm »
I do have another nomination. Museumguy.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=2306

Interesting gallery , great coins.

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 12:56:26 am »
I must mention the great galleries of *Alex and Jochen, great coins and a lot of interesting additions recently!!!
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 03:11:54 pm »
Both  *Alex and Jochen ' s Gallery are superb.
We have also the unknown hero n.igma , not to mention his impressive knowledge about the Alexandrine empire.
Sam Mansourati

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 04:41:26 pm »
Both  *Alex and Jochen ' s Gallery are superb.
We have also the unknown hero n.igma , not to mention his impressive knowledge about the Alexandrine empire.

+1  +++

Q.
My Gallery

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:29 pm »
+2

I rarely look at my physical coins anymore once a photo has been taken and posted to the gallery.  I'm always using the gallery for attribution help.

+++   Me too.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 10:03:12 pm »
If you gentlemen, check the Best of the Type right now, you will definitely change your mind about checking photos only.
Mama Mia 😊.
Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity