Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius AE 17 Dioscuri  (Read 973 times)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Marcus Aurelius AE 17 Dioscuri
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »
AE 17, 3.04 g, Marcus Aurelius, Laur., bearded head r., ... KAIS ANTW ... / Dioscuri nude, standing with spears

There is no ANTW-legend Dioscuri of this size in Isegrim, and just one in RPC *, badly catalogued (cf. second image below, noting that Gorny's specimen is the unicum listed by von Aulock). But I don't think the legends or dies are the same. Any other contenders? Thanks for any / all help!

* http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7279/ -- clearly we are not dealing with the Caracalla issue, Weber 5280 (see http://people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/WeberPlates/Weber192.html).
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Marcus Aurelius AE 17 Dioscuri
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »
I don't think it's the Dioscuri.  It really could be any two standing figures.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:15 pm »
The symmetry is clearer in hand than in my posted photo. I would actually be happier if these were not the Dioscuri, but the similarity with several other nude Dioscuri reverses seems to be pretty much indisputable.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:06 am »
Hi arch,

The reverse of your coin looks somewhat similar to the reverse of one of my coins (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_troas_minor_mints.htm

I think it is the Dioscuri on the reverse of your coin.

Of course, my coin is much larger (AE 27) and heavier. And, on my example, their arms are down. But there are similarities.

Meepzorp

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:12:09 am »
Thanks, Meepzorp!

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:19:33 am »
Hello! I agree with Tom. The figure on the left as I see it:
Vladimir P

He who makes no mistakes makes nothing

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »
-- And if you put that together with the image on the right, you get precisely the sort of symmetry that is typical of Dioscuri issues. The right arm apparently descending on the left figure's torso is much less distinct on the actual coin, and was probably not part of the die-design.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity