Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What am I seeing on this Herod Antipas half denomination?  (Read 2068 times)

wdclawson

What am I seeing on this Herod Antipas half denomination?
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:04:53 pm »
New collector question:

I was looking at captioned coin at [SELLER NAME REMOVED BY ADMIN]. Here is direct link.

[LINK TO COMMERCIAL COIN WEBSITE REMOVED BY ADMIN]

It appears to me that the legends on the obverse are below the surface...I believe called "incuse."

Is this the actual situation...or somehow just how it looks in the photo? If the obverse legends are below the surface, how does this condition come about?

Pictures of other examples of this coin (Hendin 1204) do not look like this. They appear "normal" with legends raised.

So, I'm just very puzzled by this. Especially wondering if it would be a good idea to consider purchasing a coin in this "condition."

Thanks for educating me!
wdclawson

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: What am I seeing on this Herod Antipas half denomination?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:01:52 pm »
You can ask the same question by uploading the photo to the discussion board.  You cannot discuss other sellers here or link to their websites unless they are a Procurator Monetae.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

wdclawson

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »
Attempting to attach uploaded picture of the coin...

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:59 pm »
I believe the inscription is normal, not incuse.  It is an optical illusion. If the the inscription was incuse, it would certainly be fake because the type with an incuse inscription does not exist.

Before you purchase a coin you should either know the coin is genuine (which apparently you do not know and neither do I from the photo) or know the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee of authenticity.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:23:50 pm »
To my eyes, the legend does not look at all incuse. Also if it were incuse the highlighted parts of the legend would appear in different places. The light source is from below the centre of the coin: look at the bottom edge vs. top edge in particular. Looking at the T, you have the bottom of the T highlighted but also the bottom of the bar. If it were incuse, you would expect it would be the top part of the bar highlighted and not the bottom.

Joe has given you some great advice before making your purchase.

Suggest you spend some time here on this discussion board and learn about ancient coins. There are plenty of resources - explore the links in the navbar near the top of the page.

Also have a look in the FORVM shop.

Peter

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
It matches die O2 on the Menorah Coin Project: http://menorahcoinproject.org/ant-07.htm

The text and wreath appear to me to be in relief, as usual.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »
Note, however, a die match does not verify it is authentic. It could have been cast with a genuine coin used to make the mold.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity