Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Fonts Help  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Greek Fonts Help
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:07 am »
Hello Friends,

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately.  It has been a really busy school year!  Anyway, I could use your help.  Attached is an excerpt from the London Papyrus that is translated: "How did you cross the stream of silver-eddying Acheloios, through River Ocean's wet paths?"

My question is, what are those dots below certain letters?  Is that a weird way of writing a subscript iota on early Greek manuscripts?  Needless to say, MS word doesn't appear to have this option in its Greek font pallet!

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Greek Fonts Help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:57:47 am »
In general usage, the letters in brackets indicate that the particular letter is not
(or no longer) present, but can be inferred from the context, whereas those with
the dots below may have some remnant, but are obscured in some manner.

For example: regarding the word "'Αχελωιου" in the text you provide, the letters
χ and ω are missing, illegible, severely damaged, etc.; whereas the letters ε and λ
may be partially present, very worn, slightly damaged, remain in outline only, etc.

I hope this helps.

Walter

Note: In most cases these letters are presented in upper-case on the original
'documents', whereas in most texts they are presented in lower-case. I have
always thought this to be a little strange, and have never fully understood the
reasons behind this convention. I would have thought that it would be better
to show the text as it appears on the original
. Curious!
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:25:57 am »
Thank you, that answers it!

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:27 pm »
Those are notations for how a papyrus actually reads.  A letter in brackets is missing in the original, it may have dropped out do to scribal error, or there may actually be a hole in the text.  A dot below tends to mean their is a part of a letter there, but the reading is conjectural, or implied.  But you really should get a print of a papyrus/inscription text that will at the beginning talk about these philological notations.  I have some books, but not with me.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity