Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins from Jordan 1/8 - help requested  (Read 673 times)

Offline Warner P

• Legionary
Coins from Jordan 1/8 - help requested
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:40:12 pm »
Hi All, first ever post here, asking for help identifying 8 coins I recently bought/found in Jordan, mainly in/around Petra.  I will look at identifying the coins myself using the great instructions on this forum.  Apologies for the quality of the photos.

This is might be fake, as fairly smooth. 3.8 cm in diameter.  The second photo is rotated 180 degrees vertical from front.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Coins from Jordan 1/8 - help requested
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:37 pm »
They are all tourist fakes.

Petra is full of sellers of these cheap sand cast fake coins which usually sit on tables, or benches, or even on a rug on the ground, among a host of other fakes of antiquities of various sorts, ranging from pottery, to metalwork to coins.

A small point of semantics; there is a difference between bought and found which makes me wonder which applies, not that it alters the fake nature of the coins.

However, the sellers of this material are in such abundance that its likely that many are dropped and are not worth the effort to recover.

If you are in doubt it serves to remember that the sale and export of ancient coins is illegal in Jordan, with stiff penalties for offenders. Yet these items are openly displayed for sale at archeological sites in front of the authorities and police at the sites....... The old poker adage applies "Look Around the Poker Table; If You Can’t See the Sucker, You’re It."  Many a tourist falls for this game and that is the purpose of the game! It keeps the locals gainfully employed, transferring tourist dollars into the local economy and is thus tolerated by officials.

As for the coin it is a crudely cast fake of imitating a silver tetradrachm of Antiochos III  - king's head on obv. and Apollo on omphalos rev.. A nice momento of your visit, but nothing more.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Warner P

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:54 pm »
Much appreciated, and well understood.  I only found #5 & #7 in the desert.  Assumed most were fake, but fun to search, and to haggle, and give a little back to the relentless vendors.  Others sold of course right in front of police.....

Offline Warner P

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:03:04 am »
They are all tourist fakes.

Petra is full of sellers of these cheap sand cast fake coins which usually sit on tables, or benches, or even on a rug on the ground, among a host of other fakes of antiquities of various sorts, ranging from pottery, to metalwork to coins.

A small point of semantics; there is a difference between bought and found which makes me wonder which applies, not that it alters the fake nature of the coins.

However, the sellers of this material are in such abundance that its likely that many are dropped and are not worth the effort to recover.

If you are in doubt it serves to remember that the sale and export of ancient coins is illegal in Jordan, with stiff penalties for offenders. Yet these items are openly displayed for sale at archeological sites in front of the authorities and police at the sites....... The old poker adage applies "Look Around the Poker Table; If You Can’t See the Sucker, You’re It."  Many a tourist falls for this game and that is the purpose of the game! It keeps the locals gainfully employed, transferring tourist dollars into the local economy and is thus tolerated by officials.

As for the coin it is a crudely cast fake of imitating a silver tetradrachm of Antiochos III  - king's head on obv. and Apollo on omphalos rev.. A nice momento of your visit, but nothing more.

Knowing that provenance counts for so much, is there any chance any of the 8 are maybe not fake?  Even help identifying what they were meant to be, will help me in my new fun task of self-identifying.  Thanks for your help and understanding....

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:10:24 am »
All but 4/8 have the characteristics of cast fakes and are of identical patina suggesting a common origin, notwithstanding the fact that the coins in question, if authentic, would have been struck by different cultures over a period more than 500 years.  

Notice that 4/8 has a different and possibly authentic patina, but I haven't a clue what this blank is. It may be an authentic unstruck coin blank, or a very highly worn coin on which no detail is recognizable. But it could be a genuinely old piece of metal.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Warner P

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 07:28:36 am »
I love this forum.  Thanks so much for the help.

Given the 4/8 possible.... how best should I clean it to see if I can get more detail?

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »
Cleaning is beyond my expertise.

Best post it on the Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion board with a request for advice on how to proceed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity