Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake or not  (Read 1117 times)

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
Fake or not
« on: December 09, 2017, 08:19:35 am »
Hi I am new here - sorry if I am in the wrong thread. Pease correct me on forum etiquette as required.

Would anyone venture an opinion if the attached are real or not. One was sold as Caligula and Agripinna , the other as Claudius and Agripinna 2 the last I assume is a museum copy - 37gms looks too good to be true?

Kind regards

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Fake or not
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:04 am »
Best to read the rules.  Inquiries about authenticity ought be posted in the area that discusses fakes.  Remember that we do not discuss coins you are considering purchasing.  State why you consider a coin suspicious.  Give weight and size. One coin per topic--it is too confusing to discuss more than one at a time.  And, please, post pictures right side up!  I think I sprained my brain looking at these.

Do not take these guide lines harshly--it does take a bit of time to get into the flow of matters.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
Now I am really confused--two obverses of silver coins and one reverse, apparently from a bronze.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »
The lettering on the two silvers looks totally wrong, and on the bronze it looks like something off a printing press.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:49 pm »
Hi And thank you - I did upload 5 pics but I don't know why only 3 are displayed.

The main reason for my suspicion is one came from gsaler on ebay and I can still return under e-bay rules - if there is a hint of doubt then I would value your opinions.

Thanks again.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:31:27 pm »
All fake. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:48:53 pm »
Hi And thank you - I did upload 5 pics but I don't know why only 3 are displayed.

The main reason for my suspicion is one came from gsaler on ebay and I can still return under e-bay rules - if there is a hint of doubt then I would value your opinions.

Thanks again.

Hi John,

Firstly, welcome to the discussion board.

You may have bought fake coins but that has led you here - now you can start learning all there is about ancient coins, including how to avoid buying fakes in the future.- i
There are plenty of resources here and forum members willing to assist.
Make sure to read the rules first as they are stringently applied (for sound reasons) e.g. no discussions about sellers unless they are in the notorious fake sellers list.

Hope to see you here.

Peter

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 07:43:35 am »
Indeed, all are fakes.  Please do not let this discourage you.  There are plenty of real ancient coins available.  You need to start by acquiring coins from a dealer with excellent reputations, such as Forum, and stay away from places like the popular web auctions site that is a minefield of fakes

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:15:12 am »
Grateful Thanks

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:29:34 am »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

All coins are guaranteed for eternity