Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Greek Griffin to ID  (Read 717 times)

Offline zoser

• Caesar
Small Greek Griffin to ID
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:07:08 pm »
AE 8

It depicts a Griffin on REV, any idea about the face of the ANV?
No luck trying Abdera, Teos, Pantikapaion, Gela

Thanks in advance
Zoser

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Re: Small Greek Griffin to ID
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:38:34 pm »
Abdera no, the griffin always faces to the left. From the style of the griffin I bet it is from Assos. The bearded male looks like he is wearing a phrygian cap or kyrbasia and reminds me of the portrait of pharnabazos in an EL hekte from Lesbos www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=748980
I believe it is definitely somewhere from the asia minor. Some coins of gergis have a griffin as well....
Hope this might help

Offline zoser

• Caesar
Re: Small Greek Griffin to ID
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:05:17 pm »
Abdera no, the griffin always faces to the left. From the style of the griffin I bet it is from Assos. The bearded male looks like he is wearing a phrygian cap or kyrbasia and reminds me of the portrait of pharnabazos in an EL hekte from Lesbos www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=748980
I believe it is definitely somewhere from the asia minor. Some coins of gergis have a griffin as well....
Hope this might help
Hi Paparoupa, thanks so much for clue, yes it must be from Asia minor, has someone have any ref of it?

Thanks
Zoser

All coins are guaranteed for eternity