Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: One of a kind issue Antoninus Pius  (Read 547 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
One of a kind issue Antoninus Pius
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:49:00 am »
Though I hope this special variant is somewhere known to mankind, it is still extremely rare as it is not in any of the reference sources.
Sestertius Antoninus Pius 28.15 grams
IMP [T AEL CAE]S HADR ANTO - NINVS AVG PIVS [P]P laureate head right / P M TR POT COS II  S-C Fides standing front, head right, holding two ears of corn and a basket of fruits.
The special feature of this coin is the presence of PP which apeared immediately after this issue as ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP.
The example directly under my rather poor specimen, is taken from Wildwinds where noone seemd to have noticed the presence of PP and is therefore catalogued as RIC 530b.
The obverses are die-identical.

Frans

PS have you seen the coin lots I have for sale?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: One of a kind issue Antoninus Pius
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »
Frans,

Nice find!

I have two similar specimens, one the identical Wildwinds coin you show, which I acquired from Marc Bettinger in March 1996, though I was unaware that Wildwinds also publishes it without naming a source; and one from different obv. and rev. dies, acquired from Lanz in January 2012.

I think I reported these two coins on Forvm in 2012; maybe somebody can find the link.
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:50 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:17:02 pm »
Thanks for the link!

I had forgotten about the Garonne Hoard and CNG specimens. With my two and yours, we now know five specimens, from two obv. and three rev. dies. Yours seems to be from the same dies as the Garonne specimen.

So far all with the Fides standing rev. type, none with Pax standing or Annona standing, which may also be expected.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity