Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cracked siliqua tested!  (Read 1811 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Cracked siliqua tested!
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:11:01 am »
Hi!

I would like to share with you some findings of the metallurgical analyses of a cracked Siscia siliqua of Constantius II by IMR Test Labs in Louisville.  Some time ago I shipped this cracked coin to the Labs as it seemed to be a nice sample of decrystallized silver coin. I would like to thank Justin Barnes from the Test Labs, a keen collector who volunteered to test this coin. Justin was surprised to see the brittle cracking of silver, which should be a very ductile metal.  

So, the fracture surfaces were examined in a scanning electron microscope (SEM). The fracture exhibits a textbook intergranular appearance. Individual grain facets and twinned bands can readily be seen. The pics in different magnifications are attached (see the file name for details). Also, Justin  prepared a metallographic cross section of a broken piece. It was examined in the as polished and chemically etched conditions up to 1,000X optical magnifications - respective pictures are attached.

In short, Justin concluded that some sort of embrittlement must have occurred to produce type of features observed. Though any significant quantities of elements that one would associate with silver embrittlement, i.e. tin, arsenic, lead, bismuth, ect  were not identified. Perhaps equipment was not sensitive enough to detect or those elements may have simply been lost to time.  Also, the high content of the chlorine can be explained with its diffusion from soil/environment...but this should be further researched, according to Justin.

Thanks for your time!

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Cracked siliqua tested!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:14:02 am »
...and chemically etched

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:50 pm »
How does the analysis compare with other specimens of the same type? Is it possible that the embrittlement was caused by depletion of an original component? Did they say anything about the cause of the striped crystals in the last two shots?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:05:40 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for sharing.
I have found this subject interesting ever since my Lysimachos tetradrachm broke into pieces to reveal a white crystallised interior but an otherwise normal looking surface.

Can you add those excellent photos to the numiswiki for Crystillisation? https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=crystallization

Peter

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:04:44 am »
Very interesting

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:46:05 am »
How does the analysis compare with other specimens of the same type? Is it possible that the embrittlement was caused by depletion of an original component? Did they say anything about the cause of the striped crystals in the last two shots?

... yes, it would be interesting to know how this analysis compare with other specimens of this type!)...this is the reason why I shared the findings over here, perhaps someone will use the results for comparison, and probably something new will derive. I had only one cracked siliqua which I 'donated' for research. I suspect that due to relative rarity and high costs of siliquae there is not so much material for comparison. I presume there is the right thing to do is to make an analysis of similar SIS siliqua but in solid silver, not crystallized like this one. Then the content discrepancy may indicate if the depletion of original content  took place. I guess you are right suggesting that crystallized coins lose the content with time, may be due to some chemical reactions with soil/water. We all know that crystallized coins are much lighter then solid silver coins - so something seems to be lost with time).

Hi,
Thanks for sharing.
I have found this subject interesting ever since my Lysimachos tetradrachm broke into pieces to reveal a white crystallised interior but an otherwise normal looking surface.

Can you add those excellent photos to the numiswiki for Crystillisation? https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=crystallization
Peter

Peter, needless to say I'm sorry for your tetradrachm, as I experienced the same feeling with my siliqua)...thanks much for sharing this link on numiswiki... I liked the idea of copper being responsible for crystallization...possibly it's true, this SIS siliqua contained 3,05% of copper...I don't know if it is above norm or not, but copper could be a suspect..I can also see a reservation of something at the edges of the silver grains  - may be it is the copper as described in numiswiki

I dont know how to add pictures to numiswiki, but I will try to do it later when I have time.

Very interesting

+++

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:11:41 am »
To add photos to NumisWiki, put the cursor where you want the photo to go, click the button with an icon that looks like a camera, click the browse button, browse for the photo on you hard drive, click the upload button. Done.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »
... Did they say anything about the cause of the striped crystals in the last two shots?

That is the reflected light optical expression on the etched surface of crystal twinning. The latter is caused by the intergrowth of two separate crystals in a variety of specific configurations.

Crystal twinning occurs when two separate crystals share some of the same crystal lattice points in a symmetrical manner. The result is an intergrowth of two separate crystals in a variety of specific configurations.

For the technically minded ...http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211/twinning.htm
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:25:50 pm »
The crystals appear to have been the result of silver crystal growth in the melt during the cooling and solidification of the coin blank (i.e their origin is pre-strike).  

In this case the crystal growth is not a function of post-strike chemical alteration during the millennia after the coin was struck.  

The very small fractures between silver grains/crystals suggest intergranular embrittlement, the result of impurities in the silver melt that during crystallization in the silver melt, during cooling of the coin blank, are excluded from the AR crystal lattice and concentrated along grain/crystal boundaries.

Enough impurities and these concentrations link up throughout the metal fabric to to cause microscopic boundaries of structural weakness along grain boundaries. These define surfaces of potential fracture propogation and failure. With 5-6% impurities this is significant in terms of intergranular volume.

So the diagnosed cause of breakage: fracture failure due to intergranular embrittlement.

This aligns closely with Justin's diagnosis.....

In short, Justin concluded that some sort of embrittlement must have occurred to produce type of features observed. Though any significant quantities of elements that one would associate with silver embrittlement, i.e. tin, arsenic, lead, bismuth, ect  were not identified. Perhaps equipment was not sensitive enough to detect or those elements may have simply been lost to time.  Also, the high content of the chlorine can be explained with its diffusion from soil/environment...but this should be further researched, according to Justin.

I note that this is quite different to and not to be confused with the alteration of composition and failure caused by burial alteration over milennia that peterpll19 refers to as the cause of breakage of his coin even though this phenomenon is commonly referred to as either mineralisation or crystallization in the numismatic trade (the former is more technically correct).

timka  - thanks for the tremendously interesting and insightful data and analysis.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
I thought it was probably twinning. It looks very like the patterns you see in plagioclase crystals in rocks.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:06:56 pm »
I thought it was probably twinning. It looks very like the patterns you see in plagioclase crystals in rocks.

Exactly the same phenomenon.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 08:58:40 am »
Thanks timka for posting the results and great photos.

n.igma's analysis is excellent. 

We sometimes give the ancients too much credit for their technology and forget that it was more like a craft than an industry.  The casting process was far from perfect.  Not only were impurities present but the mixing and pouring process yielded highly varied results.

Below is some stuff I wrote that is more related to copper alloys but applies somewhat to any metal alloys:

"The alloy components are subject to “segregation”.  This can be due to: chemical factors – for example lead is relatively insoluble in copper;  physical factors – lead is heavier and therefore subject to gravitational segregation sinking in crucibles and moulds (therefore the end of a pour has more lead than the beginning as it comes from the bottom of the crucible); and technical factors – molten alloys were not mixed well and were often allowed to cool too fast (generally the faster a metal cools the more separation or segregation between the individual components of the alloy).  The result is that the alloy mixture is usually quite uneven throughout a single crucible or “pour”.

A test done in the 1980s by T. Peters that attempted to replicate Constantinian-era leaded bronze revealed how the alloy mixture within one cast bar of bronze varied greatly from one end to the other.  While the bronze mixture was made up to include 1.4% silver (4 scrupulae of silver per pound of bronze) and 12.50% lead (36 scrupulae), the starting end of the bronze bar had only 1.15% silver and 10.35% lead while the finishing end of the bar had 1.57% silver and 14.62% lead.  This shows a variance of 30% in the silver content, and 34% in the lead content, through one small bar.  Sampling one end of the bar would yield a 3 scrupulae fineness standard while sampling the other end would yield a 5 scrupulae standard, when in fact the entire batch was made to a 4 scrupulae standard.  This level of deviation is likely representative of the variation to be found within any group of flans cast together.  To further complicate matters Cope has shown that the fineness of two halves of the same late Roman bronze coin can vary significantly, further complicating sampling methodology.  In an example provided by Cope, the values in the two halves of a coin were 1.08% and 1.42%.  Once again, this would point to different fineness standards of 3 and 4 scrupulae per libra respectively if taken in isolation."

While I was writing about the problems associated with fineness sampling the issues highlight how variable the contents of coins from the same issue could be.  If we combine this with the differences in the timing and duration of the heating and cooling processes and we could expect significant variance in the structure of coins (or more accurately the flans) that came from one casting.

So, building on n.igma's diagnosis I would think that in any given batch some coins may suffer more from inter-granular embrittlement and therefore simply be more susceptible to this sort of damage.  In other words the coin (flan) had a pre-existing condition.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity