Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Ptolemy? AR tetradrachm For ID  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Which Ptolemy? AR tetradrachm For ID
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:51:48 am »
Hi all,
I have this AR tetradrachm that was identified by the seller as Ptolemy I... But as I'm not finding it, I'm thinking it's a bit later (P II?).

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with an ID and reference. Thank you!

28mm
13.4 grams

Josh

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Which Ptolemy? AR tetradrachm For ID
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Hi Josh,

From acsearch, it looks like Ptolemy II:

[edit: I removed the link to search results as it was not displaying properly. Instead, search 'Ptolemy tetradrachm ΣT' at www.acsearch.info]

If I get the time, I will check my references when I get home tonight.

Many of these tetradrachms, those of the later Ptolemies in particular (by memory), can be tough to attribute, especially where they share the same regnal dates.

Peter

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
Thank you Peter! I appreciate it!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 09:51:35 pm »
Sorry Jason,

I'll take a look this week.
I've barely had time to continue in cataloging my own collection the last few days.

Peter

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:12:34 pm »
Thanks Peter! No Hurry. With your tip of searching ΣT, I found quite a few examples. I don't know how to type greek characters... so by copying and pasting them I've been able to find quite a few with the following attribution:

Ptolemy II Philadelphus (285-246), AR tetradrachm Alexandria, about 275-266 BC. Ob Diademed head of Ptolemy I to right, wearing aegis around his neck. Punches in front of the face. R / ΠΤΟΛΕMAIOY ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ Eagle to g. on a lightning. In front, ΣT / monogram. Svoronos 368; SNG Cop. 87; Meydancikkale 5034.

Of course anything you can find in your references would be great too!

Josh

All coins are guaranteed for eternity