Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximinus II coin maybe?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Marc G

• Legionary
Maximinus II coin maybe?
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:12:58 pm »
If someone can identify this coin and maybe give me some specifics theirs so many different ones out there that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Maximinus II coin maybe?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:45:26 pm »
The one on the left is Licinius I, to my old eyes.
Something like this, but different mint:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4431436
PeteB

Offline Marc G

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:14:45 am »
Perfect thank you! I am new to coins and appreciate any info I can get because there seems to me many varieties. Is there a good website or book that shows all the different coins with images and info about them?

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
It is a Licinius coin, IMP LICINIUS P F AVG, the bust id Laureate, draped and cuirassed (seen from the front). It has the letters T and F in the left and right fields and ATR in exe.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:44 am »
A bit like my example below but mine is missing the drapes across the chest.

Offline Marc G

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:10 pm »
Thanks for the info! Why is it that there's so many coins that are the same but with slight differences? Is it cause it was made by a different person? I would have thought the coins from the same years would all be the same

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:36 pm »
Marc,

Every die was hand carved.  Even though there weren't too many engravers at any one mint this still leads to lots of variety in style.

The mint and field marks were of course intentionally different to identify exact issue.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity