Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help: Alexander the Great. 336 - 323 BC. Silver Tetradrachm  (Read 334 times)

Offline Kenneth S2

• Legionary
ID Help: Alexander the Great. 336 - 323 BC. Silver Tetradrachm
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:11:03 pm »
Hi! I'm a new coin collector and am wondering about my most recent purchase. From the photo, does it seem authentic? It was sold with the following description (I have verified the size and weight).

Kings of Macedon, Alexander the Great. 336 - 323 BC. Silver Tetradrachm. 27.19mm diameter, 4.72mm thick, 16.25g. Head of Herakles rt. / Zeus seated lt., holding an eagle and sceptre. aVF.

Thanks!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: ID Help: Alexander the Great. 336 - 323 BC. Silver Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:52:12 pm »
Hi Kenneth,

Welcome to the discussion board.

I do not see anything wrong with your coin, from the photos.

There is a helmet in the left field and θE monogram below the throne of the reverse. This makes the reference for your coin Price 623.

See e.g.: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4398835

Price is the standard reference for this type of coinage. If you click on the word 'Price' it will take you to the numiswiki entry for it. This reference can be found online.

Peter

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:34:49 pm »
At first I thought the coin looked pretty good, although the patina seems a little odd. However, the coin looks a lot like these fakes from "the Toronto Group":

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-613

and

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-948

But I am far from an expert, so please get more opinions.
Regards,
EB

Offline Kenneth S2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:07:31 pm »
Thank you both so much for the insight!

I'm just learning to navigate all of these resources and you both helped alot! I found the Price book online along with cncoins. Not sure what I'll do with this coin but might buy another.

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:12:04 pm »
Hi Kenneth,
Please disregard my previous post. I realized after posting that, as a relative novice, I have no business discussing this or any other coins authenticity. I apologize to you and the rest of the forum members.
Ancient coins are complex and facinating. I hope this hobby brings you lots of enjoyment.
All the best,
EB

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 06:52:00 am »
EB,

I think your observations are quite good--do not be shy to express them.  I am sure that if something proves wrong, others will express their opinions and with nothing to your discredit.  Each of us has at one time or another made errors here and will certainly do so again, but we all continue to learn from one another.

Mac

All coins are guaranteed for eternity