Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Same Coins 46 Years Apart! Plate Parthians  (Read 1761 times)

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
The Same Coins 46 Years Apart! Plate Parthians
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:49 pm »
Hello!

As you might know from my gallery, I have two coins that once belonged to the late David Sellwood. They are both drachma, one from the reign of Phraates II and the other from the reign of Orodes II. I recently purchased a first edition copy of Sellwood's "An Introduction to the Coinage of Parthia," and I was floored when I saw both of the aforementioned coins in the plates! The book was published in 1971, and I acquired both of these coins in 2015. I took photos of each coin with its respective photograph in the book, and I've attached photos below.

-TPG

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
Re: The Same Coins 46 Years Apart! Plate Parthians
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:27 pm »
Well, that's pretty awesome, Zeki.  Always exciting to come across a coin of your own in a reference book.  I spotted one of mine in the Sylloge Nummorum Parthicorum, Vol. 7 last year (I also spotted one of Schatz's in that volume), and just a few months ago I found another (also an ex-Sellwood Collection) in Mitchiner's Oriental Coins and Their Values, Vol. 2: ACW.  Nice surprises.

Good thing you have Sellwood's first edition, because it appears those two coins are not illustrated in the second...he apparently changed out a lot of images for the 1980 edition.

Congrats.  Recommendation: Upload the coins to Forum's Plate Coins Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5725

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
Fantastic! 

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:13:34 am »
Plate coins!!!! always great to have even just one!!! Congrats.
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:43:46 pm »

Well done! Sellwood plate coins are not so easy to identify as the plate pictures in both of Sellwood 's books are not very sharp. Of course you had an idea where to look for your coins. An excellent confirmation of your coins' pedigree.

Regards,
Schatz

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:22 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I looked at the plates with a half-serious notion of finding my coins, but when I actually found them I was absolutely dumbfounded! Bob, I will put these coins into the plate gallery right away! Thanks again!

-TPG

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
I get excited when I  discover a die match. Discovering you have a plate coin must be a wonderful feeling!

I bought my first plate coin recently. A greek bronze coin. Unfortunately not in a reference which I own. Plate coins are hard to come by and always seem to generate a bidding frenzy.

Regards,

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity