Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions  (Read 524 times)
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« on: October 03, 2019, 05:52:49 am »

I have a student that will be studying numismatics with me this coming Spring as part of the Independent Library Research Program I run at work.  I have plenty of coins for him to work with, but books not so much (He has Klawans now as an introduction, and I'll give him Sear's last single volume work, and I have many materials for Roman history in general).  He is interested in studying the larger patterns of monetary reform throughout the history of the empire, and he should be able to write a nice report by the end of the term (he's just a freshman, but very ambitions).

So, Roman friends, is there a good single source you might recommend as the main text?  Perhaps Vagi's work?

rennrad12020
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:30:39 pm »

Have you included "The Roman Monetary System" by E. A. Sydenham published in Numismatic Chronicle in his bibliography? A hundred years old, but concise at less than 100 pages.

JPW

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:39:47 pm »

No, but I willthank you for the recommendation.

PMah
Caesar

Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:15:07 pm »

Probably a bit much for a high school freshman,  but perhaps fine for college, with some debatable conclusions,  but certainly a full overview, is

Coinage in the Roman Economy, 300 B.C. to A.D. 700,  Kenneth W. Harl

More narrowly focused is
 M. Crawford,  Coinage and Money Under the Roman Republic: Italy and the Mediterranean Economy

The ANS has an overview page on Roman Monetary history, which has a lot of links, which may help focus the project.  I think it is connected to one of their publications,  but that's for the student to work out....

Be Well, Masks Work, Stay Healthy!

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6790
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 02:14:58 pm »

Thank you for these. We wont be covering the Republic except for perhaps an introductory overview of its coinage which I will present.  He is more interested in the empire and particularly its fall as depicted through numismatics.

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:13:25 am »

Although it sits on my shelf but I have not yet read it, and it might be above the level of a high school student, there is State and Currency in the Roman Empire to 300 A.D. by Sture Bolin.

Tracy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop