Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A number of doubtful coins  (Read 2525 times)

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
A number of doubtful coins
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:07 am »
The auction house (name deleted) is offering a number of coins in their current auction (79) and in several previous auctions, which I find highly doubtful.

Below are a few examples of higher value coins from the current auction. Higher value coins are however, the exceptions. E....... often offers low quality nummi which are either mis-attributed to rare rulers (Avitus, Odovacer, Gundobad) or modern forgeries.

Best
Dirk

PS just removed the name of the auction house

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Emporium Hamburg Numismatics - doubtful coins
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:13:30 am »
Dear Dirk,

Its about the coin and not the seller, please remove the name of the Seller.
against the rules here
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
Re: A number of doubtful coins
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:40:18 am »
Ok, thanks for the hint. I just removed the name.

Best
Dirk

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:34:55 pm »
Hi Dirk,

For everyone's benefit, can you advise why you believe the coins are doubtful?

Peter

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
Hi Peter,

I think its three things: 1) the style and fabrique of all of them is way off. 2) its pricing. The coins are oddly cheap. The Maximus Siliqua was offered at EUR 450. A genuine Maximus Siliqua costs upwards of EUR 4000. The third point is what is called "Vergemeinschaftung" in German. The coins are surrounded or grouped with numerous modern forgeries of similar style in the same sale and in previous sales of the same auction house.

Best
Dirk

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:27:54 pm »
So you started this thread to try and warn us not to bid in this auction? (I missed seeing what auction-house you were talking about) ... I'm too slow

=> but thanks for the heads-up

+++

cheers, Dirk

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:21:32 am »
Hi Steve,

I'm not saying people shouldn't bid, I'm only saying that people interested in any of them should be very careful before bidding and do a lot of research and style comparisons. I personally am convinced that these coins are modern forgeries.

I tried to add more examples from the same auction, but always get error messages. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The file sizes are very small and the files are in the correct format (png)

An Error Has Occurred!
Theoderic_5.png.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are jpg, jpeg, gif, png.

An Error Has Occurred!
Justinian_fake.png.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are jpg, jpeg, gif, png.

Best
Dirk

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:57 am »
They are all fake. They are neither official nor local Germanic copies. One usually sees such coins on e-bay.
  Richard

PS While saving the photos I noticed that the same dealer offered the same Galla Placidia tremissis in April (below).
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:41:15 am »
What is particularly odd is that the auction house seems to be working with the forger. They have sold hundreds of late Roman nummi in recent years all of the same strange style and fabric. Often they attribute these coins to rare rulers such as Avitus, Gundobad or the Gepidic king Turisint. In the case of the latter they try to substantiate their attribution with a reference to a 1920 publication of these coins. But when you look up the publication as I did, you find that the coin is completely different, i.e. different metal, different design etc. Also the modern forgeries of this particular style belong not only to one period, but they appear also among Greek and earlier Roman material. I have notified the auction house on several occasions, but their numismatist insists that the coins are all genuine.

Best
Dirk

PS Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures anymore, but to give you an idea about the style of their late Roman and Byzantine nummi

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3747981

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3747980

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2735425

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2427150

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1950262

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:39 pm »
The coins in my first post have all been sold by the auction house (except for the Galla Placidia). The prices range from around 1000 to 2700 dollars. I had warned the auction house that these coins are doubtful, but they refused to listen.

Best
Dirk

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:08:01 pm »
Unless they know your expertise, or you successfully explain to them why they should respect your opinion, you should not expect them to listen.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline tejas552

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 06:01:48 pm »
Given that the coins are pretty obvious modern forgeries, they should have taken action on my mere suspicion. Instead, their replies were very strange and indicated to me that they knew already that the coins were fakes.

Anyway, I submitted the fake reports.

Best
Dirk

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 09:21:13 pm »
Thanks for the reports.