Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Silver - As Found?  (Read 729 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Silver - As Found?
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:41:15 pm »
I received an interesting Byzantine Ar today.  It measures 25.1mm and weighs 2.07g. I believe that it is:

Basil I and Constantine. 868-879 AD. AR Miliaresion. Constantinople. IhSUS XRISTUS NICA, cross potent on three steps, globe beneath, triple border / +bASI/ LIOS CE/ CONSTAN/ TIN' PISTV/ bASILIS/ ROMEO' in six lines, triple border. DOC 7; SB 1708. 

It looks to me to be either uncleaned or debased.  Any thoughts?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Byzantine Silver - As Found?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:26:29 am »
I would say heavily tarnished/uncleaned, pretty nice. I would leave it be, rather unusual.

cw

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Silver - As Found?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:22 am »
That is what I thought!  As it is very unique and obtained for a modest sum, I think that I will leave it as is  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity