Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eric P. Newman has passed away  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Eric P. Newman has passed away
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:29 am »
Ursula Kampmann just posted this on Facebook...

Last night we learned that 106 year-old Eric P. Newman has passed away. For all those who have not yet heard of him: Eric P. Newman is one of the most popular figures of US American numismatics. He was born in 1911. With as many as two degrees in different academic disciplines – he held an Engineering degree from the MIT and a degree in Law from Washington University – he then became a well-known lawyer and inventor who invested a share of his revenues in numismatics.

Over the last years, Heritage auctioned parts of his collection. The revenues were spent on the realization of what was the coin enthusiast’s vision: he wanted others to share his great passion. Eric P. Newman thus not only devoted the lion-share of his more than 100 books and articles to numismatic topics; Washington University has a Newman Money Museum, and the online available Newman Numismatic Portal offers a seemingly uncountable set of scans of numismatics sources that are otherwise hard to come by.
The numismatic community needs people like Eric P. Newman. And it keeps bringing forth people like him.

After all, coin collecting is more than a short-term investment or an irrelevant pastime. It’s an attitude to life. It’s the lived conviction that we are part of a history to which we owe that we are who we are and which obliges us to pass the best we have and know on to future generations.

Eric P. Newman has lived this conviction. And for that, we are grateful to him.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Eric P. Newman has passed away
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:09 am »
A long life well lived, and a great loss to the numismatic community.
R.I.P.

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Eric P. Newman has passed away
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:59 pm »
I met Mr. Newman several times as a result of his involvement with Early American "Colonial" coinages.  I was fortunate enough to add several pieces of Connecticut and Vermont coinage to my collection out of the Heritage sales of his collection.

Numismatic research today would not be what it is without his contributions.

He was a true giant in Numismatics, and basically the last of his generation of collectors.

The Newman Numismatic Portal will be his biggest legacy.  I urge everyone to try out the site.  It is not just for US numismatics, although at this time it probably leans heavily towards that area, but continues to grow daily.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/

Here is a link to the New York Times' obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/obituaries/eric-newman-dead-leading-authority-on-coins.html?emc=edit_th_20171117&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=52199757&_r=0

Attached is a picture of a "young" Mr. Newman (he was only 90 at the time) speaking at the 2001 Convention of the Colonial Coin Collectors Club, held in Boston, MA.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity