Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very interesting Vespasian sestertius, Judaea Capta series, without captive  (Read 628 times)

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
Hello all!

I have been show this Vespasian sestertius, Judaea Capta series, without captive. This is a very cool coin as the tree is moved to the right with no captive, unlike the other reverses. Seems like a pretty cool coin, it is unlisted and the gentleman who owns it has never been able to find any info on this obverse die as neither have I in the short time I have been researching it.

Anyone ever seen one like this or have any info on it?

Thanks!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Looks like RIC 216 (R2).

Coin is from rev. die P149 in Colin Kraay's unpublished die catalogue of Flavian sestertii. Kraay points out that the same rev. die had earlier been used by Vitellius, BMC pl. 64.2. For Vespasian Kraay knew just this rev. die and one other with this type variant and S C in exergue rather than in field. Your die combination is new to Kraay: he knew this rev. die in combination with two other obv. dies of Vespasian. I don't have the time to check whether your obv. die is altogether new to Kraay or was known to him combined with other rev. dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
Thank you! It sure does look like RIC 216, here is one in better condition in a German Museum.

http://ikmk.smb.museum/object?id=18225255

Offline Eduard J

• Legionary
I have a similar sestertius of Vespasianus in my collection and, like the example you show, it lacks the captive at the base of the palm tree. If I remember, when researching this coin I came across at least one more example of the type without the captive.

The obverse legend, however, is different to your example.
The reverse legend is similar except it reads Augusti Victoria instead of Victoria Augusti.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Very cool OP-coin (I love the honest ol' coin texture/fabric)

Oh, and great thread example from Eduard J (very nice)

Ummm, I'm hoping that you guys will also enjoy seeing my Lucius Verus example => similar reverse type (again, without captive)

Lucius Verus AE Sestertius
164 AD
Diameter: 33 mm
Weight: 26.69 grams
Obverse: L AVREL VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS, laureate head right
Reverse: TR P IIII IMP II COS II S-C, Victory standing right, placing a shield inscribed VIC/AVG in two lines on palm
Reference: RIC 1396, Cohen 249
Other: Sweet portrait

cheers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity