Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help with interpreting BMC please  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Need help with interpreting BMC please
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »
Would someone help me with interpreting this.  This is a page from BMC 20 - Galatia, Cappadocia and Syria. I'm probably making this more complicated than it is because I'm fairly new to reading these old coin catalogues.  Please look at coin #432.  What does the type 1. in the parenthesis mean?  Or is that type l.?  Does that mean head left?  If so, does that mean the rest of the coins in that column are also all head left?

While I'm on this topic, what other references do you guys recommend for small coins Elagabalus of Antioch with the S dot C reverses?  I have about 50 of these, many of which are not in BMC.    Thank you all.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Need help with interpreting BMC please
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »
i may be wrong but i don't think it says 'type 1'. it looks to me like it is saying that the coin in question is 'l', or left facing, and laureate. the coin at the top of the list states that it is right facing, so I would go with that as the rule unless otherwise noted, as it appears to be on #432.
i'm not a Roman guy tough, so i can't be sure.

~ Peter

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:09:13 am »
I agree with Peter, Type l (left)., laureate.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:55 am »
While I'm on this topic, what other references do you guys recommend for small coins Elagabalus of Antioch with the S dot C reverses?  I have about 50 of these, many of which are not in BMC.    Thank you all.

I can recommend Butcher, Kevin. Coinage in Roman Syria: Northern Syria, 64 BC - AD 253. Royal Numismatic Society Special Publication number 34. (London, 2004).
I use this for the S-C bronze coinage. It is relatively inexpensive. I like the detailed commentary.

However what I see most frequently cited recently appears to be McAlee, Richard. The Coins of Roman Antioch. (Lancaster, PA, 2007). I do not own a copy yet but plan to acquire one. Also reasonably inexpensive.

Peter

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:02:51 am »
Thank friends  for all the help.  I thought it meant head left but then started second guessing myself.  I'm assuming the rest of the coins below that one revert back to the head right description---is that correct?

Thanks for those references Peter---I'll see if Joe has those books.

Charles

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:48:21 am »
The usual type is listed under the first entry on the page. Exceptions to the usual type are listed for each entry.  I confirm that it definitely is the letter L for left, not the number 1.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
I can recommend Butcher, Kevin. Coinage in Roman Syria: Northern Syria, 64 BC - AD 253. Royal Numismatic Society Special Publication number 34. (London, 2004).

This work (in two volumes) is online as Kevin's original work for his PhD degree. Extremely useful. I am sure I added a link in one of the postings in this section of Forum (maybe something like "Extremely Useful Theses online" or something similar), otherwise google
Butcher "Coinage in Roman Syria"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity