Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Restoration: enhancing contrast using original dirst  (Read 1328 times)

wdclawson

Restoration: enhancing contrast using original dirst
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:23:27 am »
I would appreciate comments from experienced collectors on the captioned practice. I am quite new to ancients.

On various videos demonstrating the cleaning of ancient coins, I see some cleaning which removes dirt and exposes the patina...and stops there. Some other clearly expert cleaners go further by replacing the original dirt (I don't know how this is done) in the fields of the coin, resulting in a high contrast between the characters, symbols, etc. and the "unraised" surface of the coin.

Is this return of the original dirt a common practice? Is it considered quite acceptable and simply a matter of personal taste/preference?

Does this practice have any impact on the grading services' judgment of a coin?

Thank you. 

wdclawson

Re: Restoration: enhancing contrast using original dirst
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:28:18 am »
Sorry...original DIRT...not dirst!

Online Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
My feeling; the coin took 2000 years to get to it's present condition.  Respect that; what doesn't come off with soaking, brushing and some picking should be left ,  Don"t try to "improve" the coin.  But that's only my opinion.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:50:52 am »
I am on Bill's path, I consider myself more the caretaker of these coins rather than owner. Leaving them be in the best condition and minimal cleaning is the way I go. As I do not collect much silver or gold coinage my concerns are maintaining good conditions for them and wondering what my son is going to do with them when I go!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:12:46 am »
Sometimes coins are cleaned to remove dirt from the types and legends and leave it in the fields. That is OK and very often attractive. 

The problem with add dirt back is that it is sometimes done to fill pitting and hide flaws. That is wrong.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity