Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Before you collected Byzantine coins Did you Collect

Roman
7 (26.9%)
Greek
1 (3.8%)
Medieval
2 (7.7%)
Modern
1 (3.8%)
Nothing
4 (15.4%)
Multiple Types
11 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Before You Collected Byzantine Coins.  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Before You Collected Byzantine Coins.
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:04:10 am »
We have not had a poll for a while; I was curios where other Byzantine coin collectors started in their coin collecting.

Did one thing lead to another or did you start with them?

Just a fun poll and an interesting way to learn more about others  in the field .

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Before You Collected Byzantine Coins.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:30 am »
It has been an interesting poll, granted we only have 15 responses so far but it does give us an indication on how people have collected. I would also say the knowledge on the Byzantine board is very diversified.

I was one of the people who voted starting at Roman coinage, my first focused collection was Empresses on Roman coins, I had a nice collection and when I was satisfied, I sold it off. I started becoming interested in Byzantine coins after reading the history of the Roman empire and came to the understanding it did not fall until 1453.  I also really liked the fact that it was an open field, new finds have been proven to be in most Byzantine  collectors experiences and I am sure we have many more to go.

If you feel like sharing about your collecting experiance, please do. This board makes this hobby less of a solitary experiance,

Simon

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:40:22 am »
The only coins I collected before were Lincoln cents in my youth.  I was 7 years old, and I never got serious, so do not think that counts.  I selected "nothing" in the poll. 

I bought my first Byzantine coin, a solidus of Justinian, while I was reading John Julius Norwich's three volume narrative history of Byzantium.  This was a few years after I became Orthodox.  I think I bought the coin around 2005, back when the price of gold was much lower.  In those days the common gold solidi of Justinian, Justin II and Maurice regularly sold below $200.  I was shocked that an authentic gold artifact could be so cheap, and I felt compelled to buy it. 

Then a hyperpyron of John II, who is actually a saint in the Orthodox Church, which made the purchase decision a little easier.  Then a solidus of Basil I, the earliest "affordable" Byzantine gold with an icon of Christ.  Then I resolved to restrict my budget and fill in the other emperors with bronze and silver coins . . . .  With some exceptions, of course, along the way.

For me it has been about the history more than the coins.  The coins make the history come alive in a more tangible way.  For me, when I get out a few coins to take another look, the next stop is typically my bookcase where I keep all of my history books . . .

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
Quote from: Obryzum on November 16, 2017, 05:40:22 am
This was a few years after I became Orthodox... 

...For me it has been about the history more than the coins... 

Dear Robert

Since you are Orthodox ( +++) and love history, I strongly recommend to visit some day a few of the Mount Athos monasteries.
It will be like living back during the Byzantine era.

tk

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »
I'm a general coin collector, ancient through to modern.  I've been a coin collector since I was about eight years old (1980). I obtained my first Ancient coin in 1983, but didn't get my first "true" Byzantine coin until 2000.

A year earlier, in 1999, I'd bought what a local dealer had said was a "Byzantine" coin, but it was mis-identified; turned out to be a Trebizond silver asper. I had a hard time identifying that one, with no books, no Internet and no experts I could ask. Took me a couple of months and at the end of it all, I still didn't own a "true Byzantine coin".

I now have 12767 coins in my collection, 31 of which are Byzantine (plus two from Trebizond and one from the Latin Empire).
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:33:51 am »
I collected US pennies as a youth.

Many years later I bought a metal detecter for my son and some "roman coins" off the internet. He seemed not intrigued as why one would find roman coins buried in the Pacific Northwest, but I was as to holding a piece of history and the stories that built those histories. One of them was a Justin II half follis......

I seem to spend now as much on reading or buying books as I do the coins themselves.

cw

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:48:52 am »
I was 14 years old.
I was with my father in a bookstore when I spotted this magazine.
Its title:
"Numismatic Chronicle'   
I dont know why but I felt I had to buy it...

Rest is history

tk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:07:56 pm »
This was a fun poll and Thanks to all who voted and to those who shared. 

Simon

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 06:17:19 pm »
"Multiple types" was a bit of a cop-out (sadly, I chose it)

I collected Modern (as a kid and again in my 40's) => then I found ancients, The Dark Side (Roman & Greek) => then the rest followed after a while (medieval and byzantine joined-in and entered the ol' melting-pot)

They're all cool

+++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity