Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: Introducing Carausius's Gallery 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing Carausius's Gallery  (Read 17239 times)
Simon
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Tetartera Collector

« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 09:31:20 pm »

Great coin, excellent provenience.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:49 pm »

I've added an attractive denarius of Sextus Pompey to my Forum Gallery.  Please have a look here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160019

Although exhibiting some wear, this is a particularly sympathetic, well-centered and complete example of this difficult type which often comes off-struck or on small flans.  Within a few days after acquiring the coin, I also uncovered an important prior auction provenance from 1952!  Enjoy.

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2020, 10:07:18 pm »

Very nice!

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2020, 09:10:23 am »

No, not one of THOSE owls - rather, an M. Cordius Rufus denarius of 46 BCE with perched owl.  It's a tough type to find well-centered and struck.  This coin is not perfect, but required minimal concessions.  Also, it has perfect surfaces and lovely toning.  I'll be working on finding an earlier provenance, which I'm hopeful will turn-up eventually.  You can find the coin here: 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160061

But please wander my gallery and let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions for improvememt.  I'm going to look into ways to sort the coins in Crawford order for a less random presentation.

PMah
Caesar

Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »

A very nice coin.  I tried to put that one in my gallery myself....   Glad I got to have it in hand for a few minutes! 

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2020, 01:30:56 pm »

Sorry (not sorry).  Wink

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2020, 10:55:12 pm »

Quote from: Carausius on February 14, 2020, 09:10:23 am
I'm going to look into ways to sort the coins in Crawford order for a less random presentation.

Success!  Over the past few hours, I've revised the titles of my Forum Gallery coins so that most now sort in order of Crawford number (Michael Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage being the standard catalogue for the series). I think this should make the Gallery more useful as a research tool, and should facilitate finding particular coins.  Note that Crawford numbers ascended in chronological order; however, intervening scholarship since 1974 has supported some dating changes.  Thus, the gallery coins will not all appear in precise chronological order.  In the Second Punic War album, there are a few stragglers that won't sort for reasons I don't understand.  I'll try to fix those in the next few days, if possible.

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:21 pm »

Impressive undertaking.  I did the same for my Flavians, sorting by RIC number. I had the same issue with some just not going in  order.  Turned out there was a space at the beginning of the title which made them not go where they should.  Once the space was  removed they fell into place.

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Anaximander
Consul

Anaximander

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 03:32:00 am »

Firstly, Carausius, I am massively impressed by your Roman Imperatorial gallery

I recently got around to sorting my Greek coin galleries into some semblance of order, having discovered the sort options box.  Much better than my old as-input sequence, which produced a somewhat random jumble, with some alphabetical sequences.

TITLE          +   -
FILE NAME  +   -
DATE          +   -
POSITION   +   -

What I hear you and Jay GT4 saying is that you use the Title + as your default sort option rather than Position +.  Add a coin to a gallery with the right title (with no errant spaces), and it sorts all on its own.  Is that right? 

I'm going to launch my Roman collection online this year, and might like to 'borrow' your technique.  The Position proved to be quite a labor for large galleries, and that sort requires a re-index with every new addition.

With Crawford and RIC (and possibly RPC) as our guardrails, we can pretty much cover the gamut of Roman coinage. 

Anaximander

Chris “Anaximander” Thomsen. Member Since 2019.
My ForumAncientCoins gallery
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 05:26:41 am »

What I hear you and Jay GT4 saying is that you use the Title + as your default sort option rather than Position +.  Add a coin to a gallery with the right title (with no errant spaces), and it sorts all on its own.  Is that right? 

Yes, I moved Crawford references to the front of the title and then used Title+ to sort.  I found that I needed to eliminate any letters or "var" in my Crawford references to avoid confusing the sorting.  That was fine as that information is repeated in the body of my descriptions.

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »

I've added a rare Corn-Ear quadrigatus to my Gallery of Roman Republican Coins, my second of the type and a slight upgrade from my previous example.  This added coin is from the RBW Collection.

The Crawford 42 series of quadrigati is the rarest of all the quadrigati series. In his study of the 42 series quadrigati, Charles Hersh could only locate 33 examples of the type. Based on the corn-ear control symbol, the series was likely struck somewhere in Sicily, perhaps during Rome’s Second Punic War offensive against Syracuse, from 214-212 BCE. While Crawford puts this series last in order of his various quadrigati series, it is likely they were produced near the same time as the debased, lightweight quadrigati that ended the Crawford 28 series. The coins are generally of debased style and metal, thought their weight is good, and in this regard they are similar to Crawford 31 quadrigati. Stylistically, the series 42 quadrigati typically display well-defined, separated “J”-shaped sideburns, with horizontal hairs, on the Janiform head. Neck truncations range from open C curve (as on this example) to straight and V truncations. On the reverse, Jupiter's thunderbolt is entirely within the line border, angle of the horses is on the low-side, and ROMA is always in relief in a linear frame. The type usually has a corn-ear on the reverse beneath the quadriga; however, “anonymous” versions of this series, without corn-ears but stylistically identical to the corn-eared coins, are known.  

You can see both my examples of this rare type via the following links (first link is the new coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160191

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-147798

Enjoy!

quadrans
Tribunus Plebis 2019
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »

Great addition, Michael...  Thumbs Up

Joe

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2020, 10:52:43 am »

I've added to my Roman Republican Gallery an example of a Roman-over-Roman overstrike from the Second Punic War.  During the Second Punic War, the Romans often overstruck both non-Roman bronze coinage, when territory was re-taken, and older (heavier) Roman bronze coinage, when weight standards were reduced.  In this case I present a Crawford 41 Series, Post-Semilibral Sextans overstruck on a Crawford 38 Series, Semi-Libral Uncia. These are fun when identifiable, and are also important evidence for dating of the two series (the overstruck coin must post-date the undertype). You can find the coin here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-160865

Enjoy!

PMah
Caesar

« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2020, 02:04:14 pm »

Nice overstrike and the clear notes are very informative.   Did you spot it yourself? 

I should take a re-look at my Cr 41 specimens, as your note points so clearly to that crest, which could look like a keel "wave" at a quick glance.  <Adds to to-do list>

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2020, 02:08:40 pm »

Thanks, PMah!  Yes, I spotted it myself.  The overstrike was not noted by the seller, but that is not unusual in instances where the undertype is somewhat hidden. 

PMah
Caesar

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2020, 08:49:41 pm »

Strong work spotting that.  I nearly went blind on Thursday night prepping the Sardinian praetors' overstrikes for my coin club's show and tell.

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2020, 03:24:33 pm »

I hope the extended Forum family is staying safe and healthy.  While sheltering-in-place, I have added a group of five AR quinarii from several eras to my Roman Republican gallery, including several with great provenances.  The new coins can be found at the top of the "Last additions" section of my gallery home page (link in the footer of this post).  Enjoy!

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2020, 11:39:03 am »

Sheltering-in-place is a good time to browse the Forum Galleries!  I've recently added to my Roman Republican Gallery a C. Caldus AR Denarius with a near 100 year old provenance.  This complex type has beguiled researchers for generations.  The new Caldus denarius can be found here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-161957.  My entire gallery can be found at the link in the bottom of this post.

Enjoy! 

quadrans
Tribunus Plebis 2019
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:54 am »

Wow, great addition... Thumbs Up

Joe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: Introducing Carausius's Gallery « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop