Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval or ancient ?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Victor

• Praetorian
Medieval or ancient ?
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:50 pm »
          Hi folks , any ideas ? What could that be ? Apr 4 inch total length 1.5 inch width , soft metal silver-ish core , has some  lettering on the back of one of the pieces - looks like I E and retrograde R .

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Medieval or ancient ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:08 pm »
Very strange.  A modern metal cast of an ancient carving???  Hard to tell what it is.  The metal does not look old but it is hard to tell from a photo.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Victor

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:49:12 am »
Thanks for your reply Shawn , I apriciate it . The pictures aren't perfect - surfaces and colour  are different in hand .

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:41:00 am »
Weird.  I am afraid I just can't tell from the photos.  It seems to be lead but the condition doesn't look like anything I have seen - none of the lead votive plaques I know of have that pitting.  Sign of a modern cast?  Ancient cast?  Corrosion??  Unclear.

What worries me is that Roman lead plaques are often quite high quality.  The design of yours is certainly artistic but the actual item is very very rough. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity