Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mining operation in Roman Spain  (Read 866 times)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Mining operation in Roman Spain
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »
From the article
Archaeologists Uncover Vast Ancient Roman Mining Operation in Spain
The Romans exploited an even more ancient mine but built elaborate ventilated underground galleries, going deeper than had been thought possible at the time.

Turdetani, the original inhabitants of the region, over  4,000 years ago. Now the excavators have discovered an elaborate system of ventilated underground galleries connected by tunnels dating to the Roman era.

They also found shafts connecting at various heights forming floors that let the miners extract metal deeper than had been believed possible at the time. Happily for the miners, the ancient Romans were on to the secret of ventilation.
The Munigua mine supplied the Roman Empire with vast amounts of iron and copper until the late second century C.E., when all the mines in Hispania were shut down
read more: https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/1.774629

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Mining operation in Roman Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:47:47 pm »
I'm a mining engineer, so that is extra cool (mining & ancient coins!! => winna-winna!!)

;)

+++

thanks for posting that cool article

All coins are guaranteed for eternity