Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus RIC V-1 252  (Read 708 times)

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
Gallienus RIC V-1 252
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:56:39 am »
Hallo!

Recently I bought this Gallienus coin, apparently struck with rather worn dies (legends) but nice otherwise (some details, silvering etc.).

It's RIC V-1 252
IMP CAES GALLIENVS AVG
PAX A-ETERNA AVG
-/ :Greek_Delta://-

Unfortunalely I don't posess a copy of Goebl's MIR (Valerianus and Gallienus), so I cannot answer the following question myself: does Goebl  list this type (678?) with the "long" obverse legend and  :Greek_Delta: in the right field?
RIC lists only  :Greek_Delta: in the left field, but a similar specimen with  :Greek_Delta: right had been found in the Braithwell Hoard
(see: http://www.yorkcoins.com/gallienus-braithwell.htm)

Thank you in advance!
Zenon M.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Gallienus RIC V-1 252
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:11:09 am »

Göbl 679w2.

Pekka K

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:36:22 am »
Thank you for your prompt answer!
Does it mean, that Goebl generally didn't differentiate a letter in the left field from one in the left field?
There is an example of 675w2 on gallienus.net showing  :Greek_Delta: in the left field only.

Zenon M.

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:35 am »
Normally Göbl changes number when legend or officina marks are modified. So in the particular case the same coin with officina mark in the left field of the reverse is numbered 678 w2. And 675 w2 becomes 676 w2 when officina mark is transfered from left field to right field the reverse, the legend (PAX AETERNA) being unchanged.

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:51 am »
Thank you! I really have to buy Goebl sometime in the near future...
Zenon M.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:05:07 am »
Zenon => congrats on the new Gallienus addition (he has a lot of cool coins)

+++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity