Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Potential addition to NFSL (and/or a bargain Proculus!)  (Read 687 times)

Offline RL

• Consul
Potential addition to NFSL (and/or a bargain Proculus!)
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »
I recently went down a rabbit hole reading about the coins of Proculus, and for the hell of it decided to see what was being sold on eBay in his name (expecting some atrocious fakes). Interestingly there are 2 current listings (and one that I don't have any particular reason to criticize apart the rarity (not that lack of criticism from me should be considered an endorsement!)).

I suspect with the other listing however (see Exhibit 1) I haven't been disappointed, although I have to say whether I am right or wrong I am horrified by the prices this seller has been getting for some of his coins (either he is offering some of the world's best bargains or he/she is ripping off a lot of people for some reasonably hefty sums).

What's more impressive (or damning?) is that this is the second "Proculus" this particular seller has listed in the last 6 months (see Exhibit 2).

Offline RL

• Consul
Re: Potential addition to NFSL (and/or a bargain Proculus!)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
For good measure (and as further evidence), the seller has many rare past and current listings that appear cast, although after checking a few there was only one (a Gordianus I) that I think I have matched to something already in the fake coin reports. Cf exhibit 3 with:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=18

and

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=19

Enough for a NFSL nomination?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:29 pm »
It is up to you to decide if it is enough for a nomination. (But yes, it is.)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline RL

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »
Thanks Joe, I'm still learning the ropes and don't want to potentially defame an innocent, so thought I should differ to greater expertise before naming them. Out of an abundance of caution, I have also asked the seller for comment, and I will wait and see what they have to say before I decide whether to post their ID here in case there is a reasonable explanation that I am overlooking (to quote the great late Terry Pratchett “Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”). I will let the board know what develops.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
I would certainly second the nomination.

Offline RL

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:22:23 am »
Haven't had a response.

User name is panantukanuk841

https://www.ebay.com/usr/panantukanuk841

I have done fake coin reports for the two Proculus coins

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:13 am »
panantukanuk841 added to the NFSL
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity