Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying late byzantines: Lascaris and Palaeologos  (Read 759 times)

Martin I

Identifying late byzantines: Lascaris and Palaeologos
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:56 pm »
The coins of the late phase of Roman/Byzantine Empire can be very difficult to attribute. When I started to collect I made this mistake of trusting the seller(s)’ attribution. – Today I always check it myself and do proper research myself.

I want to ask if there are any with deep knowledge on the late coins as I want a 100% correct attribution.

(1) The first one was labelled as Theodore Lascaris, Sear 2062. – Although not clear on picture, on hand on the reverse side one can clearly read a “K” and an “O” right to the head of the emperor.

I want the opinion of some experts: can that coin be attributed 100% or is it to worn?

(2) The second one is attributed as Michael VIII Palaeologos, Sear 2290. – On obverse you should see 4 visible dots(normally 5 in all?) in which I am very sure is the gospel in the hand of Jesus. – Also I think the obverse was photographed the other way around.

I also want your opinion on that coin.

I know I might not receive responds since this is very complicated. Otherwise thank you for any help you can provide.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Identifying late byzantines: Lascaris and Palaeologos
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:45:37 pm »
Identifying late Byzantines can be difficult when you have poor strikes, but the attributions here are correct.
The links to Wildwinds don't work so I show below a couple of examples of the types. (It's hard to find a good image of S.2290 - the Goldberg/Wildwinds example is about the best I can do).
Note that there are number of varieties of S.2062, with stars in various places.
Also the reverses of (genuine) Byzantine coins are normally inverted so the original images of your S.2290 are shown correctly.

Ross G.

P.S:  I've added the CNG example of S.2290 which shows the emperor holding a sceptre crucis instead of a labarum sceptre.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity