Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Germania Capta Ceremony 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Germania Capta Ceremony  (Read 261 times)
David Atherton
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« on: June 27, 2019, 10:05:38 am »

I was thrilled when this wonderful Domitian sestertius arrived in the mail recently. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-156275

The intriguing reverse may allude to concluding ceremonies for Domitian's campaigns against the Germanic tribe the Chatti.

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:13 am »

David, congrats on this new addition.

RIC 281 was also my first example of this fascinating type, back in 2003.

Alberto

orfew
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:27 pm »

Great new addition David.

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:59:55 pm »

An intriguing piece David, it's part of the same series as mine.  I wonder what the relationship is between them.  Where were the Chatti, along the Rhine?  I forget, have to check a map.

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT PP
Laureate head of Domitian right

SC
Domitian standing left holding spear and parazonium, right foot on a reclining figure of Rhenus (The Rhine)

Rome 85 AD

25.47g

RIC 356 (C)

From the Enrico collection
This is the Wildwinds example

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
David Atherton
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 06:59:42 am »

An intriguing piece David, it's part of the same series as mine.  I wonder what the relationship is between them.  Where were the Chatti, along the Rhine?  I forget, have to check a map.

The heartland of their territory was 40-50 miles north of the Rhine, but certainly the river forts must have been threatened in some capacity. Domitian had the legionaries build roads into Chattan territory in order to reach their hilltop strongholds. Not much is known about the conflict and it didn't have a culminating major battle ala Mons Graupius or Tapae.  It's likely mopping up operations continued for many months after the initial hostilities, perhaps ending not long before these coins were issued in 85.

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
Steve P
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:27:58 am »

Atta-boy, David => that coin has sweet centering ...

Yah, I've always loved the looks of these sweet Sestertii, eh? (meaty, rugged winners!)

=> keep-up the good work, my coin-friend

Cheers

Thumbs Up
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:10:50 pm »

Nice coin.  Sometimes I feel that, because Domitian was such a putz, his coins are somewhat underappreciated. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Germania Capta Ceremony « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop