Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ummmm, were the Vandals considered part of the Byzantine era?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Ummmm, were the Vandals considered part of the Byzantine era?
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:07 pm »
Ummmm, were the Vandals considered part of the Byzantine era?

Regardless, here are my two lone Vandal offerings ... please feel free to answer my question and/or post any of your cool Vandal coins

:)

Cheers

VANDALS IN CARTHAGE, Æ 21 NUMMI
Attribution: MEC 45
Date: 523-533 AD
Size: 20.26 mm
Weight: 6.28 grams
Obverse: Soldier standing facing
Reverse: Head of horse left, XXI in exergue

Vandals, Municipal Coinage of Carthage
AE 4 Nummi
Date: 480-533 AD
Diameter: 9.61 mm
Weight: 0.85 grams
Obverse: Diademed and draped bust, holding palm
Reverse: - / N / IIII

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Ummmm, were the Vandals considered part of the Byzantine era?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »
 :Greek_Pi: :U: :Tcurl: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Iota: :Nline:?

... that's okay (I like you coin guys)

:)

I've got all long-weekend to stare at the screen waiting for some sort of response (one way, or another) ...

=> my wife is out of town until tomorrow and I am at home sipping Kraken and hanging-out with my hounds (we're all looking longingly at the dead-screen ... hoping ... wishing ... waiting ... what? ... hey, was that a response?! ... *nope* ... hoping ... wishing ... waiting)

;)

Just jokes (get a life, Steve!!)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:49:51 pm »
My single Vandal example is not very good but you can see it here https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/coins/b1/b901.htm
There is also a short history of the Vandals. Click 'Next Coin' to see better examples of other 'Dark Age' coins.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:59:50 pm »
Hey, thanks PeterD ... cool coin and great short-description (apparently the Vandals were defeated by the Byzantines)

=> cheers

+++

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
I have a few Vandal coinage in my gallery.  I am not sure what you mean by Byzantine era.  Do you mean were they contemporary with the Byzantines?  Then yes, there were, but you also need to understand that the Byzantine Empire was one of the longest reigning empires!

Vandals: Anonymous (ca. 480-533) Æ 12 Nummi, Carthage (MEC-42; MIB-19, under Hilderic)

Obv: Carthage standing facing, each hand outstretched holding ears of corn
Rev: NXII within wreath

Vandals: Anonymous (ca. 480-533) Æ 42 Nummi, Carthage (MEC-43-4; MIB-22, under Gelimer)

Obv: KARTHAGO; Soldier facing, holding spear
Rev: Horse’s head over XLII

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:44 am »
Great coins, Quant. Geek (thanks for posting those winners)

Oh, and thanks for your explanation (I always appreciate people's coin-help)

Cheers

+++

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:39 am »
When I first saw this without reading the description I thought " Wow! aliens have visited the earth ."

Nice coins Guys , this is my favorite from the group. It gives me an idea for a new collection. We are not Alone themed.

I do not have any Vandal coins, do either of you have more examples? They are interesting.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »
Sorry, Simon => I've already posted my only two Vandal examples (yah, they are pretty cool, eh?)

;D

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »
Byzantine coinage starts with the reform of the bronze coinage during the reign of Anastasius I (491-518).   However, some numismatists maintain that Byzantine coinage starts with Arcadius (383-408).  An argument can also be made that Byzantine coinage starts from Constantine I (306-337), both because Constantine introduced the solidus, and because Constantine relocated the capital from Rome to Byzantium.   

Under any of these standards, the Vandal coinage is part of the Byzantine era, but it is not considered part of the official imperial coinage.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 01:17:28 am »
Thanks, Obryzum ... yah, that's why I asked the question (I already knew the time-frame associated with the Byzantine era, but I'd never heard mention of the Vandals when people were discussing Byzantine examples)

=> oh, thanks to everybody who has dropped me a line and responded to my thread (I appreciate it ... I always love talking about my own and other people's cool coins)

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day (it lands on the 2nd Monday in October)

:Csquare: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Xi: :Greek_Xi: :reversedR: :reversedZ:

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »
There is a whole section devoted to these types of coins in my gallery at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6110.  I don't have many, but I treated this as an extension to my Byzantine coins....

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »
Certainly not part of the Byzantine coin series. Vandal coinage belongs to the post-Roman coinage issued by successor kingdoms which includes not just the Vandals but also the Ostrogoths and the Visigoths, for instance. Byzantine and Vandal coinage did "interact" when Byzantium conquered North Africa under Justinian and combinations of Byzantine and Vandal coins are sometimes found in sixth-century coin hoards from the Mediterranean world.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
Awesome ... vercingetorix, thank you very much for your information (I have always wanted to snag myself an example of a Visigoth coin and/or an Ostrogoth coin) ... a friend from another coin-site (ValiantKnight) is a big follower of coins from this rare era (very interesting)

+++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity