Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ops hided something under throne  (Read 855 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Ops hided something under throne
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:27:30 am »
Hi!

Looking through OPI denarii/RIC77 of Antoninus Pius on internet I noticed there is something interesting under throne on a denarius in Valencia museum/Llilia hoard (pic is below). Wikipedia suggested that goddess Ops can be portrayed with a corn/wheat spray! So I suppose this a  corn spray under the throne! Needless to say that RIC says nothing about such variety with a spray.  

It should be noted that OPI denarii are very rare and there are only few on internet, and only one in Valencia has this corn spray. I also have a Pius OPI denarius, but it does not have that spray. So, Valencia specimen is the only one with a spray known to me until now.

Notably, Pius bronzes with OPI are much commoner, and there is also some kind of spray seen under throne on some of them. RIC says it's a flower on bronzes. Could be. But I'm more inclined to see a spray, most probably a corn or wheat spray.

So, whenever you come across an OPI coin of Pius - check out under the throne - you may find something hidden and symbolic there!!!!    

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Ops hided something under throne
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:35:24 am »
...this a picture of Ops on Pertinax denarius,where Ops holds corn ears or spays in hand

(it's not my coin either, it's from internet)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:11 pm »
That flower on the throne cross-bar also occurs for Ops on some aurei and denarii of Pertinax, BMC pl. I.16-17.

Not exclusive to Ops, however: also on a Salus seated sestertius of Antoninus Pius, a PVDICITIA sestertius of Faustina II under Pius, and a FORTVNA REDVX aureus of Septimius Severus in 203: see Schmidt-Dick, Typenatlas I, pl. 46, 41, and 23 respectively.

I would interpret it as furniture decoration, not specific to the divinity seated, though the repeated appearance for Ops is interesting!
Curtis Clay

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
Not corn - as corn is a new world plant.
Doesn't really look like a wheat spray either (Maybe as a very young plant)

Any suggestions?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:21 pm »
I said a flower, but am open to better suggestions! Certainly earlier numismatists have noted and named that ornament, but I can't think offhand where to look to see what word they used.

I think Timka was following British English, in which "corn" is used to mean wheat or grain. For example grain shortages led to what were termed "corn riots" in Britain, among others the Rebecca Riots that took place between 1839 and 1843 in South and Mid Wales (Wikipedia).
Curtis Clay

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:20 am »
Yeah, the other "corn" (or Maize) is a north american crop

edited

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »
As Curtis noted "corn" in UK English is usually used for the seeds of a grain plant.  Thus the Cambridge Ancient History says that the Romans shipped corn from Egypt and Africa - i.e. grain seeds not yet ground into flour.

The English use maize for what we North Americans call corn.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity