Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I bought the book ...  (Read 1304 times)

Mycenae

I bought the book ...
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »
Now can I buy some coins?

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: I bought the book ...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
Now that's funny!

Nice set of books there. Can you afford coins now?  :laugh:

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
Ancient Greek coins, yes.
PeteB

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 01:02:01 am »
I agree   ;D  +++ +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:38 am »
What is funny, that each time I want to buy a book of ancient coins, I do not I just say to my self I will buy a decent coin for this amount and do so!!!
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:27:47 pm »
Give this set a year and come back with a report on how you feel you have benefited from the 10k+ pages in this set.  BMC may not be the easiest set to use and the online corpus of images beats anything I have seen in hardcover but the real problem with a purchase like this may be finding the time to use all that data to your advantage. I hope you find coins in the books that you did not know existed and are lucky enough to find specimens of those same ones. 

I suspect, if you decide the set was a mistake as educational material that they will resell well. 

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:57:00 pm »
very cool set of books ... congrats

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 03:55:00 am »
What are they?

What do they say?

How upto date are they?

Show us a page or two of the Athens News Style coinage and I can judge them for myself.

Thanks

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 07:09:37 am »
What are they?
British Museum Catalog of Greek Coins Complete set in 29 Volumes Forni Reprints

What do they say?
The British Museum published most of its massive collection of Greek coins in 29 volumes from 1873-1929. The series, called BMC Greek, is the largest collection of ancient Greek coins ever published.

How up to date are they?

Poole, Reginald S., Barclay V. Head, and George F. Hill, eds. A catalogue of Greek coins in the British Museum, Forni reprint ed. of original 29 vols. 1976. Hardbound. 10,688 pages, 952 plates, 15 fold-out color maps, indices.

Incompletely available online here (including plates)  ... http://snible.org/coins/bmc/

Show us a page or two of the Athens News Style coinage and I can judge them for myself.
http://snible.org/coins/bmc/attica/XII.jpg
http://snible.org/coins/bmc/attica/XIII.jpg
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 09:05:58 am »

Thanks for that n.igma.

So except for photographs they are completely out of date.

And all the acquisitions from 1929 no doubt you will have to find in the Numismatic Chronicle since then

I don't think The BM gets Greek coins anymore since 2014 unless it has a pre- 1970 provenance so at least it has come practically to a halt.

Once again thanks, and the books, no thanks!

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:25:09 pm »
Hi folks,

n is correct. As soon as I looked at the photo, I knew what they were. I have a few volumes myself. Yes, they are old and may be somewhat out of date. But they are very comprehensive, which is a good trait for a beginner.

Meepzorp

Mycenae

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 11:56:59 pm »
Actually I'm hoping this gives me the priviledge to buy 29 coins, which is probably a couple years worth for me. I think it will be fun to see what I can attribute myself from this set. Obviously there's much more and perhaps better information online, but there's supposed to be some fun in this hobby too, right?  :laugh:

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 09:24:51 am »
It might help to practice with coins for which you already have the BMC number just to get a feel for the layout.  I find it a great help if you already know a lot about the coin.  Remember this is a catalog of a collection so there are many items they don't have and many they have in multiples with listings giving the types as 'Similar'.  They seem to have more dekadrachms than tiny minors.  Measurements are given in inches but most of us now think of coins in millimeters.  This sort of thing is why I asked for a one year update on how you feel about the value of the set to your hobby.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity