Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ... I can't stop buying US coins!  (Read 2410 times)

Mycenae

Help ... I can't stop buying US coins!
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:07:38 pm »
I can't bring myself to commit to buying an ancient coin. Yesterday I caught myself bidding on another slabbed, stickered, buffalo nickel. It's like an addiction. Please help provide some moral support for the ancient side.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Help ... I can't stop buying US coins!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
Wow, the Dark Side is sooooo much more rewarding than chasing modern coins (*yawn*)

I collected Canadian coins which are even slightly more cool than US coins, but *whatev*

;)

=> so yah, give your head a shake and get on-board now, before you blow all of your money on plastic cases!!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
You know there are other nickels that look just like yours and some that are even better than yours.  Every ancient is in a sense unique, unique in strike, unique in condition, in surface.  Why own a mass-produced item of no individuality when you could own something unlike what anyone else has.  (Ok, perhaps I exaggerate a bit--but only a bit.)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:28:02 pm »
Just buy something inexpensive but nice looking to get your feet wet.  Joe (Forvm shop) has loads of material.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:47:11 pm »
I don't know what you collect in American coins, but for ancients you might go for a theme, like horses, or gorgon heads, or dolphins.  There are several threads on forum ancient coins that are thematic that way.  Most of what I collect is Greek Southern Italy and Sicily, but also I have a collection of ancient coins with dogs on them.  And, I joke with a friend that my collection is going to the dogs!

Wayne Sayles suggested collecting the best you can afford, I try to stick with VF or better.  Nice coins (and beautiful coins) retain their value better.  But be aware of how wear and strike affect the beauty.  A figure with its nose off the flan is going to have less eye appeal (usually) than one where the very back of the head is a little off the flan.  A VF coin with an artistic die might be a better choice than EF or even FDC coin with an ugly die.

Remember Augustus Caesar's motto, make haste slowly.  In other words, don't rush it.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
You can touch ancient coins, be part of their history.

You cant touch a slabbed coin.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Mycenae

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:27 pm »
Thanks all for the motivating thoughts. I made progress. I bought a book on Greek Coins.

Mycenae

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »
Quote from: Mycenae on October 01, 2017, 04:07:38 pm
I can't bring myself to commit to buying an ancient coin. Yesterday I caught myself bidding on another slabbed, stickered, buffalo nickel. It's like an addiction. Please help provide some moral support for the ancient side.

OK, so I bought my first Greek coin. Tell me how I did? I'm looking to learn how to make good decisions and not buy junk.

PAMPHYLIA, ASPENDUS. c.380-325 BC, AR Stater. 10.96 g. obv: Wrestlers. Rev: Slinger and triskles.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:18 pm »
I think this says it all. LOL

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:09 am »
Hi, if this is your first greek i think you are starting Very big, looking forward for the next!!!!
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:41 am »
nice coin!
ugly plastic.

- Peter

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:31:19 am »
A lovely specimen of a classic coin!  Interesting types from an interesting city.  Notice at the time this was struck, they city was using its own variation of the Greek alphabet.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 10:41:16 am »
I always like seeing that coin-type ... and your first ancient coin is a real winner (congrats)

Ummm, but I like them better when I can hold them and see the edge, rather than view them through a hazy plastic viewing-window ... but I guess it's baby-steps in graduating from moderns to the dark side, eh?

=> congrats again on scoring a great first coin

+++

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:51 am »
You did well!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 11:47:51 am »
Now all you need to do is get a hammer and after a few well placed taps around the edge of the slab, the coin will again be free....as it is meant to be.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 05:52:00 pm »
I don't think that a hammer would be the right tool for the job, research it a bit, if you are going to do it.  Although ancients should be free (and yet expensive at the same time), I think there is room for one entombed, to hand around and show clumsy people what an ancient looks like.

Mycenae

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 11:02:45 pm »
Thanks for the reassuring comments. I know slabs are kind of controversial, but it doesn’t bother me so I’ll leave it alone for now.

I’m hoping to buy my next coin at NYINC. Maybe some of you will be there. Do they offer on-site grading?  ;)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
Nice coin!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:00:17 pm »
You went 'all in' with your first purchase, well done!

Now you have jumped in the deep end, found the water is not too cold, you can slowly start exploring the wonderful world that awaits you!

There is always room for collecting moderns too should you desire to continue doing so. Why not have your proverbial cake and eat it too?

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity