Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Baktria Eukratides Tetradrachm: Obvious Fake or Ancient Plating?  (Read 720 times)

Zach Z

Baktria Eukratides Tetradrachm: Obvious Fake or Ancient Plating?
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:11 am »
Hello,

I came across this coin over the weekend.  My initial thought was that it is a fake due to the different surfaces of the coin.  The bright silver looks to have been "chipped" off.  A friend of mine suggested to me that it is plating that was done and fairly common during this time. Is this correct?  Let me know your thoughts.  The weight is 16.17 grams.

I'm really interested in both your take on this and any light you can shed on plating done in ancient times. 

Thanks much!!!

Zach

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Baktria Eukratides Tetradrachm: Obvious Fake or Ancient Plating?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:44 am »
Looks genuine to me. Just corroded and chrystalized. 

Barry Murphy

Jose C

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
I also think it's genuine. Don't see any plated surface, just crystallized silver.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »
That sort of chipping is called "lamination defects."  I don't know the physics or chemistry behind it but it seems striking a coin creates different levels of compression, and thus layering, from the surfaces to the center. Sometimes layers separate, chip, and peel from the edge.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Zach Z

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:29:50 am »
That's really interesting.  Thank you much for your help!  I love the coin but couldn't find one in my price range until now.  This is very helpful. Thank you!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
Zack Z we do not allow screening of purchase here. Barry Murphy is an expert but he did not say it "is" genuine only that it "looks" genuine. Jose C agreed but he has 11 posts and if you read them, he is a beginner (and should not have posted an opinion). I did not give an opinion of authenticity because I don't feel confident one way or another based on the photos. Do not buy coins based on opinions based on photos. Know the coin is good or know the seller is good. Do not buy coins based on opinions you get here or anywhere on the internet.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity