Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval coin? help please  (Read 244 times)

Jose C

Medieval coin? help please
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:55 am »
Bought two very worn coins. Both look medieval to me. This one looks like it's made of brass, I Think i can read MARIA in the left image upper left. Spanish? Modern token? Help please

Weight: 4.70 g
Size: 28mm

Thank you.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Medieval coin? help please
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »
Hi Jose,

The obverse (dolphin side) of your coin reminds me of a Medieval Italy Desana coin that I have (scroll down, fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_desana.htm

Obviously, this isn't your coin.

However, I feel that your coin is a Medieval French coin, for 2 reasons:

1) Italy Desana coins usually copied French coins. In fact, that was true for many Medieval coins minted in the Piemonte region of Italy.

2) The reverse of your coin depicts a fancy cross. At each end of that cross, there is a lily. This is indicative of a French Medieval coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Medieval coin? help please
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »
Hi Jose,

On the cross side, there is also a rosette in each quadrant. That should help with your search.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity