Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sea monster ketos in incuse square  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Sea monster ketos in incuse square
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
Thanks, esnible, for your profound contribution. But it is indeed necessary to have a real source for human imaginations?

Best regards

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »
But it is indeed necessary to have a real source for human imaginations?

It is interesting to speculate on the artist's inspiration.

Your coin is beautiful.  I remember bidding for it.  The ketos on your example has a snout that resembles the creature from the vase.  It looks something like a pig or dog.

I have attached an image of my Perseus and Andromeda with ketos from the same mint.  On my example, and on no other dies that I have seen, the ketos looks like a dead fish.  Perhaps the artist, not knowing what a sea monster should look like, imagined a large fish.

Offline The Red Dragon

• Praetorian
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 09:05:39 am »
Here's another candidate for Ketos  :-\
O: Ketos left
R: Goodness knows
Silver
0.4g
7.3mm

Offline The Red Dragon

• Praetorian
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 06:06:42 am »
I think I've discovered what the reverse is: Dynasts of Lycia, Head and neck of hound right, wearing leash.
See http://www.coinarchives.com/acd34cb526b317e5f1d23e7a6aa6c574/img/naumann/053/image00335.jpg
on this page
http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?search=DYNASTS+LYCIA&s=0&upcoming=0&results=100
So perhaps it's a boar  :'(

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »
Sweet coin-topic ... man, ya gotta love the sea-monster coins, eh?

=> great coins, fellas ... I have an okay example as well, but the obverse isn't quite as cool as Ed Snible's choice example (but do you still wanna see it?)

cheers (my lattice-guy did a pretty good job)

Caria, Kindya AR Tetrobol / Sea monster
circa 510-480 BC
Size: 12.6 mm
Weight: 2 grams
Obverse: Head of Ketos sea monster left
Reverse: Latticework pattern in incuse
Reference: SNG Keckman 920

All coins are guaranteed for eternity