Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Requesting Help  (Read 2320 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Requesting Help
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:05 am »
My oldest son, Marius, is a freshman at Frassati Catholic High School and taking Western Civilization. I offered to set up a display of Greek, Roman, and Byzantine coins from my collection for the class. The intent was to allow them to "hold history" and hopefully make it more interesting for them.

The teacher came back and said the department chair wants me to submit:
    Approximate time a presentation would take.
    Explanation of what I would be doing.
    Rough transcript on the information I would be presenting.
before approval would be granted to display the coins.

This caught me off guard as they expect me to come up with a presentation with the coins - which in all honesty I was just expecting to enhance her lessons not create one on my own.

The purpose of this post is for ideas on how/what to prepare/present a 60 minute lesson on ancient coins.

This could go all sorts of ways and I don't know what to do.
   Do I talk about the hand making of dies and coins?
   How do date early Roman Empire coins based on titles and Roman numerals after such as Domitian?
   How to identify coins?
   The debasement of coins from silver, less silver, silver washed, to bronze?
   What are the significance of images used in Greek city-states e.g. bee, Pan, lion, etc.

Any suggestions on what to talk about and how to prepare.
Should I use Powerpoint or something else?

I'm thinking of leaving reference material in the class for a couple days (plus web sites anyone suggests) suggesting to the teacher each kids finds a coin to research and in a later class they report to class or teacher.

From what I've read on various posts there are many knowledgeable people out there, I'm hoping someone can help this introverted dunce stand up in front of high school kids and give them something interesting to think about.

Offline Truebr1t

• Legionary
  • Truebr1t
Re: Requesting Help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »
I am surprised that no one has come back on this.  You could try just looking at the coins in general relating to what they could purchase at the time with different denominations from the early empire.  It would need a bit of research but the info is there if you look.  This could then lead on to inflation and the debasement of the coinage and the government's attempts to stop it such as Diocletian Edict on Prices' target='_blank'>Diocletian's Edict of Maximum Prices.  You could then look at the 4th and 5th centuries with the attempts to reform the coinage which were  thwarted by the unstable situation throughout the empire and how coinage was taken over by the successor states in the west and reformed in the east.  Probably more than an hour there but you get the basics.  Hope this helps.

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:58:11 pm »
Transitioning from Greek to roman to Byzantine in 60 mins is quite a challenge.

You could take the approach of selecting coins reflective of each culture or reflective of each culture contribution to the whole of western civilization following the path of the teachers year long plan. Western civ classes tend to grab certain threads from each culture and attempt to braid them together into western culture.

A few Greeks coins reflecting the spread of Greek civilization throughout the east focusing on either places or subjects on the coins that relate to items the teacher will cover

Similar idea with Roman coins that might reflect material the teacher will cover in detail; particular emperors, places, wars etc

Byzantine might be a bit more challenging

You can provide detail or insights to each coin hinting what they should be prepared to learn about each person, place or image throughout the year

You would kinda intro the course material through the coins and then the display would parallel the course material and be a reference point throughout the year

Just a thought

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
I think the easiest thing would be to discuss how coins were used to  promote the Imperial propaganda.

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:12 am »
The presentation went off last week - 2 classes Thursday and 2 Friday. It was a challenge as far as putting something meaningful in 1 class period (Thursday classes were 90 minutes; Friday was early release and the classes were 60 minutes). I tried highlighting different things I find interesting in hopes of creating future collectors. The first class was a little non responsive. The teacher said being first period they usually didn't interact well. We made one change after that class which I think enhanced the presentation. As I talked about some aspect we passed that coin(s) around as opposed to waiting until the speech was over before allowing them to hold the coins. For me it was very fulfilling even if I don't really know that much.

I started out with how the coins were made stressing dies hand made and hammering done by hand resulting in all ancient coins are unique in their own way (centering, wear of die, non perfect circular coins, etc.) CNG's current auction had some counterfeit dies up for sale so we looked at some of those. We passed around two antoninianii of Phillip I having the same reference. I pointed out differences in serifs, the different lengths of the ribbon behind his head,  the placement of the scales held by Aequitas on the rev relative to the inscription, and the die axis of the coins 1 being 12 and the other 6. We compared these to 2 US quarters.

I showed a very generalized diagram of the different types on ancients.

Then passed around a series of Alexander the Great coins (Hercules / Zeus) of Tetradram, drachma, hemidrachma, obol, and a couple bronzes of different sizes. This was followed some Mysia Kyzikos fraction ARs. I had 5 different denominations all with boar and tunny fish on obverse and lion on the reverse (a diobol down to a tetartemorion). The purpose was to show that diameter didn't necessarily match denomination but weight was what mattered (there were a couple wide and thin vs smaller diameter and thicker coins). I passed around 6 different AEs from Pantikapaion all with different reverses, more for fun than anything else. To justify these coins I just pointed out the inscriptions were similar to today's texting.

The next part of the presentation was showing how to distinguish various coins: Staters from Anaktorion & Corinth, Drachmas from Ephesus & Arados, an Athens tetradram vs an Arabian copy.

I moved on to Roman coins. The first thing I showed was the different denominations of the Republic and the significance of the Roman numerals and the number of pellets to identify value. I quickly pointed out distinctions between biga, triga, & quadriga (no coins passed around here). We then showed the different creatures pulling chariots (I didn't have every creature to pass around but did pass examples of what I did have available). Domitian served as the example of how precise some coins can be dated (I had a dozen different inscription to pass around). From there I talked a little about the devaluation of Roman coins and pointed out differences between: an as and a dupondius; a denarius and an antoninianus to include both male and female obverses and the progression of how the silver eventually became a bronze coin. They got to see several coins of Gallienus's zoo. I explained about the Nemausus coins of France and why they depicted Egyptian events and the breaking of coins for change.

This is a Catholic school so I would be slacking in my duties if I didn't end the presentation with coins mentioned in the Bible after which the teacher allowed them to get up and view the entire display which also included a few reference books.

I would like to thank those who provided suggestions for this presentation.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 04:34:22 pm »
Sounds like a great presentation.  Lucky kids!!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:18:27 pm »
Joseph Sermarini