Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: American Numismatic Society, is it worth it?  (Read 2156 times)

Mycenae

American Numismatic Society, is it worth it?
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:20:50 pm »
Hi!
I'm very new  to collecting ancients, though a long time US coin collector. I'm wondering how many Forum members belong to the ANS? And if so what benefits do you find of value? I've been an ANA member off and on for many years, probably out of habit more than anything else. But ANA is clearly US coin focused where as ANS seems to be ancients focused.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: American Numismatic Society, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:01 pm »
I am an ANS member and find it to be of great benefit and well worth the annual dues. Consider the following benefits to full membership:

1. Annual, hardcover American Journal of Numismatics which typically includes many important scholarly articles about ancient coins;
2. Quarterly magazine with interesting articles, reviews and news.
3. Tremendous numismatic research library, from which long-distance members can obtain scans of material, and which local members can utilize for hands-on research.
4. Seminars and events of interest to all coin collectors.  Just this past weekend, I attended an interesting ANS seminar on counterfeits, which appealed to all coin collectors.  

I hope this helps.

Mycenae

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
Thanks. I'm not local enough to take advantage of the in-house opportunities, but the positive endorsement leads me to believe it's worth signing up.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:37:53 pm »
The 30% discount when purchasing ANS publications is also nice.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:54:17 pm »

How do you apply the discount now that they've outsourced through Oxbow?  My emails have gone unanswered which is not the first time.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:23 pm »

How do you apply the discount now that they've outsourced through Oxbow?  My emails have gone unanswered which is not the first time.

Same experience for me and still no answer.

It seems the ANS has scope to improve its latest business model and outreach approach.  

On the one hand its doing a great job promoting public access via various online databases accessible by all, not just members. But on the other, in outsourcing its sales to Oxbow books its decreased benefits for members, by making the discount on publications inaccessible.

It has introduced the Money Talks series of regular lectures which have many useful topics, but are really only accessible on a regular basis if you are a New York resident member.

The e-newsletters are a great outreach tool for remote members, but lack the substance of lectures.

As a result, the ANS is reaching out to more people, but the benefits of membership are very fragmentary and depend on residency.

This is fine, if as a member you look at your annual membership fee as a contribution that assists in the development and maintenance of all these initiatives.

However, I think they need to make some modifications to the current approach considering some form tiered access to the various databases, public domain access versus premium material access for members (via login to the databases) would encourage the expansion of membership as there would be a more quantifiable benefit in being a member.

Similarly, if they were to stream and video the Money Talks lectures and make them accessible to the broader membership beyond New York via member login would be a fantastic benefit for the broader base of members, particularly those like me who are Foreign Associates.

I hope the ANS moves in this direction to make  membership a more valuable proposition, because they are doing a great job but they are in competition with a lot of other activities and organizations that seek our annual membership.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 05:00:17 am »

How do you apply the discount now that they've outsourced through Oxbow?  My emails have gone unanswered which is not the first time.

According to my calculations Oxbow are selling the ANS journal 10% cheaper than its advertised on the ANS website, this of course for none members.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity