Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus - VIRTVS PROBI AVG  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
Probus - VIRTVS PROBI AVG
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
HI all,

I have this coin...Probus - VIRTVS PROBI AVG... It's in real bad shape so i'm asking for some help and advice on how to clean it.

Should I just forget about it and leave it like it is cause its never getting better than this?

Have been cleaning it with a scalpel but it only cleans the grey stuff off and thats really hard...Its been hours...
Dont even know how to start with the reverse...or if I should even bother...

LuisB

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Probus - VIRTVS PROBI AVG
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:27:11 am »
If it was mine; I would do Distilled water soaks and brush strokes ad infinitum; which may not work but won't hurt either.  Don't think there is a quick method but I'm no expert here.  Good luck.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:13:56 pm »
Thank you for your input Bill!  +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:27 pm »
With a scalpel, the pure green stuff - malachite - will sometimes lift off an antonininus like this leaving the silvering whole underneath.

BUT, yours does not appear to have that kind of nice pure green stuff - it looks thick and bubbly with dark red spots mixed in.  That looks like a totally different type of corrosion that has eaten into the coin.  Under these red and green blisters is likely just a deeply pitted surface. 

Sadly, if I am right there is little that can be done.....

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity