Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II? Camp gate, RIC # help asked  (Read 557 times)

Offline A. C. P.

• Praetorian
Constantius II? Camp gate, RIC # help asked
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:57:05 am »
Constantius II? 3 turrets, star above, 6 layers, S – F, mintmark ARL(S?), 18mm, 1,83gr.
Can’t find this variation, someone knows some other example?
Thank you.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Constantius II? Camp gate, RIC # help asked
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:37 am »
This coin is perplexing.

Maybe an unofficial issue from Arles?

I'm curious if anyone else has an opinion.

Offline A. C. P.

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »
Hi Kurt, thank you very much for your reaction, do you think the ruler can be Constantius II?

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
Hi A.C.P.,

I tend to agree with Kurt. I think it is unofficial. In Helvetica's list of legends for campgates, there is no CONSTANTIVS NOBC listed for Constantius II. The decorations on the reverse is also unique. Usually you only see dots in either the top or the bottom layer. This example with dots in every brick is relatively unique. Some of the lettering also seems to indicate an unofficial issue.

Nevertheless, it is a great coin that I would LOVE to have in my campgate collection.

Tjaart

Offline A. C. P.

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:58:08 am »
Hi tjaart, thanks for your reaction; what is “an unofficial issue” is it like a forgery or imitation? Or is it coins produced without the consent of the “state”? Or some influential person making some money on the side?

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:28:19 am »
Hi A.C.P.,

unofficial usually indicates that it was not made by an official mint but made to imitate local coins. Currently there is some debate as to whether this unofficial (or barbarous as they are sometimes called) coinage were made for local circulation of whether they were ancient forgeries. See http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/barb2/ for a good discussion on the topic.

Tjaart

Offline A. C. P.

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
Hi tjaart, thanks a lot for explanation and link ; I find this a very interesting time period

All coins are guaranteed for eternity