Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman? Byzantine? Pirate?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Matt P

• Praetorian
Roman? Byzantine? Pirate?
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:18 pm »
I am really stumped by this one.  Was in a bag of uncleaned Romans.  i've cleaned it the best I can.  Patina wants to flake off.  Its bronze.

Width: 19mm
Weight:  1.78g

Bust facing right, but i really can't make out the legend.  Rear has an interesting design.  I have attached a sketch to help since my camera work is so poor.  That's supposed to be a lion rearing up on the upper right side and maybe a castle on the upper left.  Thanks for any help

Matt

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Roman? Byzantine? Pirate?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:12 pm »
I cannot see much on the photos but the drawing makes it clear it is a Spanish coin--arms of Castile and Leon--probably sixteenth-eighteenth century.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity